Author Topic: "I'm not allowed to say the word Kilo" -KBOI, Boise Idaho  (Read 2599 times)

Offline OsmiumTetroxide

"I'm not allowed to say the word Kilo" -KBOI, Boise Idaho
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:18:20 AM »
I was just listening to the Approach/Tower frequency for the Boise airport, KBOI, in Boise Idaho. I was doing other work with the feed in the background, so I didn't get much context.

But, I overheard two people get confused with each other over the frequency, and then one of them said "...something-something Kilo, I'm just not allowed to say the word 'Kilo,' is all..." and the other guy on the frequency said "...Ah, ok, let's do Kilo then..."

Does anyone have any idea what this might have been about? I'm baffled.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: "I'm not allowed to say the word Kilo" -KBOI, Boise Idaho
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:00:17 AM »
Hello,

Some people are trying to remove the letter K from the USA Airports' ICAO codes (KJFK, KEWR, KLGA, KSFO...). I assume it's a joke about this...? :? :?

Offline KB4TEZ

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »
after reading about it, I think I'm more confused than ever.  well........"initially" :)

National policies
Since the U.S. Navy reserved "N" codes and the Federal Communications Commission has reserved rights for "W" and "K", certain U.S. cities which begin with these letters had to adopt "irregular" airport codes: EWR for Newark, ORF for Norfolk, Virginia, EYW for Key West, Florida, and APC for Napa, California.[3] This "rule" does not apply outside the United States: Karachi is KHI, Warsaw is WAW, Nagoya is NGO. In addition, since "Q" was used for international communications, cities with "Q" beginning their name also had to find alternate codes, as in the case of Qiqihar (NDG), Quetta (UET) and Quito (UIO).

IATA codes should not be confused with the FAA identifiers of US airports. Most FAA identifiers agree with the corresponding IATA codes, but some do not, such as Saipan whose FAA identifier is GSN and its IATA code is SPN, and some coincide with IATA codes of non-US airports.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Does anyone have any idea what this might have been about? I'm baffled.

The comment is in reference to taxiway Kilo, which is designated as a "Non Movement Area", meaning it is uncontrolled. As it's "uncontrolled" the controller can't "technically" say it as part of a "clearance". 

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1904/00057ad.pdf#nameddest=(BOI)

JS

Offline OsmiumTetroxide

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Ah, that's got to be what it is, thank you! Very interesting, that thought never crossed my mind.

Offline KB4TEZ

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
hmmm, me either.
I'll need to watch Airplane again for a Klearance Clearance :)

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
Good explanation and thanks for the link to the chart! That makes my guess a bit stupid :cry: :-D

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this is some sort of new ATC procedure or a local Boiseism thing where you can't mention the taxiway name if it's uncontrolled ? In the past they would just clear you "taxi Bravo-Kilo, caution Kilo uncontrolled" or "Taxi Bravo your discretion on Kilo" or something like that. Seems kinda silly and potentially confusing if your can't mention the name of uncontrolled taxiways ?

JS