Author Topic: Lex Feed  (Read 11909 times)

Offline MIAMIATC

Lex Feed
« on: April 19, 2005, 12:22:48 PM »
seem's to be alot of buffering occuring on this feed. what does that mean

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Lex Feed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 12:39:18 PM »
Quote from: NYARTCCFAN

Usually means that the upstream bandwidth at the feeding site is pretty jammed up.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 12:55:05 PM »
Quote from: dave

Usually means that the upstream bandwidth at the feeding site is pretty jammed up.

Dave

Though in this case I hear other issues with skipping, etc.  Probably a low memory issue or CPU starvation on the feeder end.

Dave

Offline MIAMIATC

Lex Feed
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »
fixable on the feeders end or is it more of a patience thing while listening ?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Lex Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »
fixable on the feeders end or is it more of a patience thing while listening ?

Has to be fixed on the feeder end.  In this case, I don't know if that's possible without him changing computers.

Dave

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »
Quote from: dave

Dave

Dave,

This subject of buffering has just come up for me with a query about my feed (http://www2.ykf.ca:8888/ATC/ykf.m3u).

A user with 56k "dial up" and using Winamp asked why he was getting the dreaded "buffering" message every 30 seconds or so, and sometimes a disconnect.

This was the first time I'd heard of this, and was curious since I regularly check my feed with a laptop on a dial up connection and everything seemed normal.

I started reading in more detail adjustments to my icecast server that might be able to resolve this. I came across a discussion about this server and dial up problems. To make a long story short, I have changed the configuation file in icecast so that the "<burst-size>" is now 16384 instead of the default 65536.

I'm waiting to hear back from this particular listener, or anyone with complaints about the change I made, but so far the change doesn't seem to have affected other listeners.

One effect I have noticed though is that the delay from actual transmission to reception through computer speakes has dropped from the regular 30 to 40 seconds, down to about 5 to 10 seconds.

I'm not really clear yet on what I've given up to get this nearer real time. Guess I'll have to wait for listener observations.

Anyway, thought I'd pass this along.

Peter
http://www.ykf.ca