Author Topic: Legal Battle over Black Box CVR recordings  (Read 7630 times)

Offline delta092b

Legal Battle over Black Box CVR recordings
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
I came across this in the Toronto Star today.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/816327--legal-battle-erupts-over-air-france-black-box-from-pearson-crash?bn=1

I thought I would share for those that may be interested

Offline jrsx

Re: Legal Battle over Black Box CVR recordings
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
interesting read, thanks

Offline delta092b

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Further update:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/862903--air-france-must-disclose-cockpit-voice-recorder?bn=1

It will be interesting if this will be released to the public during the trial. Would be interesting to know what was happening inside the cockpit during that approach.

Offline speedotann

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
Anybody see the "Air Crash Investigation" episode with this flight portrayed. From what it says on the show, the pilots put the wheels down half way down the runway and never deployed the speed brake which in turn made the brakes useless with the wet surface. I believe the airport closed the big runway and the decision was made to land on the smaller runway even though they loaded extra fuel for a diversion. I see negligence for safety on the pilot's side but also why was the airport still open with such severe storms?

Offline delta092b

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »
... but also why was the airport still open with such severe storms?

It was a bit of a crazy storm (I live in Toronto and remember that afternoon) but the typical type of storm we see during the summer. The conditions were changing rapidly and ultimately it's up to the crew to decide whether they land or not. Lots of contributing factors (wind equipment at the airport knocked offline during the landing, landed too long and failure to deploy reverse thrust for 12 seconds because the PF was fighting with the aircraft and locked his hands on the reverser handles and the captain couldn't get to them.

The official report photos show how quickly the weather changed in 2 minutes:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2005/a05h0002/a05h0002_sec1.asp#photo_1

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Great reads! Thanks for posting them!

Offline delta092b

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
You're welcome

There's a good animation video that shows how far down the runway they touched down and you can see the delay applying the brakes/reverse thrust on the animation:

Offline MCM

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »
If the CVR is used in a civil case here, that will mark the beginning of the end.

It is VITAL that pilots can speak as they wish in the cockpit without believing they are subject to surveillance.

The CVR is there for accident investigation ONLY. Keep it that way.