airtraffic

Author Topic: LE Comms in helicopter and airplanes  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

LE Comms in helicopter and airplanes
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
I recall back when the LAPD went digital UHF frequencies in 2000 they were posting that they had issues finding suitable digital mobile radios to use in their helicopters/aircraft. Any ideas why Motorola Astro Spectra radios and or Motorola XTL 5000 radios would have issues installed in a helicopter/aircraft? Anyone know what they finally settled on? I heard they may use Handie Talkies such as Motorola XTS 5000 like the patrol officers do. Thanks  :mrgreen:

Offline flyingtoohigh

Re: LE Comms in helicopter and airplanes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »
http://www.scanboston.com/lapd2.htm

( "I was up there for 3 1/2 hours, and the whole time the helicopter could hardly communicate with the ground," said De la Rocha, who pressed department officials on the issue at a recent commission meeting.
     The commissioner said helicopter pilots have watched fellow officers driving directly into the path of armed suspects but have been helpless to tell them to change direction.
     She said the helicopter problems are particularly troubling because Motorola does not manufacture a digital radio system for helicopters.
     "They are having to jury-rig radios to make do," she said. "For a multimillion-dollar investment, that's not adequate."
     Papa said she was not sure whether the department was aware when it contracted with Motorola that the company does not make digital radios for helicopters. She said the department is awaiting a shipment from another company that provides digital radios capable of working in helicopters. )

What does this mean? Interference with the on-board electronics?