airtraffic

Author Topic: LAX special flight rules frequency?  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

LAX special flight rules frequency?
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
I heard some chatter on the LAX feed today which sounded like the LAX special flight rule corridor frequency.  Is this intended or was this a minor mistake? Can I get more details?

Thank you
Chananya

Offline Unbeliever

Re: LAX special flight rules frequency?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:35:16 AM »
The LAX SFRA CTAF is 128.55 and is 3500 SE bount, 4500 NW bound.

Are you sure you weren't hearing Mini-route traffic?  That's at 2500 feet both ways, and is on tower frequency as it requires a Bravo clearance.

--Carlos V.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:49:53 AM »
The LAX SFRA CTAF is 128.55 and is 3500 SE bount, 4500 NW bound.

Are you sure you weren't hearing Mini-route traffic?  That's at 2500 feet both ways, and is on tower frequency as it requires a Bravo clearance.

--Carlos V.

If it was on the feed, it was definitely mini-route traffic, which as Carlos said, requires the Class B clearance. That is going to be coordinated with Tower, and those are generally initiated by HHR Tower (if flying the route north), or SMO Tower (if flying the route south), with the B clearance coming from LA Tower.

Have a look at the TAC at SkyVector. that has all the info you're looking for.

BL.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
I did not hear any controllers, only aircraft.  It sounds like it's similar to Whiteman airport after 8 pm local or before 8 am local when it's called an advisory frequency where it's basically pilot to pilot. That's what it sounded like to me.
Chananya

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:59 PM »
Paraphrased from my email conversation with the feeder of Boeing Field, who requested this added frequency.....

" 128.55.  That is the frequency for the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area, which is the Northwest-Southeast airspace corridor directly above LAX.  VFR aircraft use this corridor to cross above LAX at either 3500 ft (southeast bound) or 4500 ft (northwest bound).  It is basically a tunnel in the sky above LAX from Imperial Blvd to Marina Del Ray (Ballona Creek).

The frequency is pretty straightforward, as pilots typically report their positions entering, over LAX, and exiting the area.  It tends to be one-way conversations, unless pilots fear a collision and they start talking to each other.  It’s also a great way to monitor aircraft coming into the LA area (Santa Monica, Hawthorne, and Torrance).

The corridor keeps transitioning VFR traffic out of the way of the heavy LAX traffic just below, but things sometimes become interesting if an LAX aircraft has to do a missed approach or go-around.  Obviously they climb, and are “supposed” to stay below the corridor."

Cheers,
Rob

-KLAX Feeder-