airtraffic

Author Topic: Lax emergency return today  (Read 9087 times)

Offline dwfx

Lax emergency return today
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
A friend of mine was on this flight that returned to LAX shortly after takeoff this morning. Which archives should I be looking at? I wasn't able to find it...

Thanks

Offline ferraraj

Re: Lax emergency return today
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
How LONG after departure? Reason? Where was the flight's scheduled destination? You could listen to the departure feed (LAX uses two freqs for departures - then generally handed off to LA Center). Need to know details-incl flight number of course! If it was turned back more than about 10 minutes after departure, then prob all happened w/LA Center - in which case prob can't hear it since the ZLA coverage is somewhat spotty out there...but always worth a try. Follow the flight from twr to take-off/departure and listen to the hand-off frequencies...search on LiveATC and see if the hand-off freq is carried with a feed. If they were diverted back to LAX, then check flight aware for a landing time and go back about 15 mins prior and you'd be able to hear SOCAL approach talk to them on the way back in.

Offline dwfx

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »

Online RonR

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
I found it.  Audio is in the Audio Forum.  Not much to listen to though...The problem occurred after being handed off to LA Center 125.275 which is not covered by Liveatc.

Offline dwfx

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »
Thanks for compiling that!  Yeah, not much to listen to - too bad they were off frequency.

The story I heard is they smelled smoke in the cabin shortly after takeoff but I don't have any more information than that.

Online RonR

Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
They did make one comment that caught my attention: when they checked in on approach, the controller said something like "understand you want no delay...", so clearly it was an urgent situation...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapatalk

Offline emk1219

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
Hi All
on Feb 10 i was on flight DL-476 (LAX-JFK) after 1 hour in flight we turned around and returned to LAX (due to speed indicator issue)
is there anyway i can follow the ATC-Pilot communications?

Thanks

Online RonR

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
Your flight turned back to LAX over Flagstaff, Arizona and was talking with Albuquerque ATC at the time.  Unfortunately, there is very limited liveatc coverage for ZAB so most likely the only communications available would be as your flight approached LAX on the way back.