Author Topic: LAS ZLA 124.20 can it be added?  (Read 9786 times)

Offline 777lrf

LAS ZLA 124.20 can it be added?
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »
A request to have 124.20 added to the ZLA feed at KLAS. This is an important frequency for high/low traffic going east over Las Vegas/Utah/Arizona. Can it be added? Thank you very much for this service.

Offline tyketto

Re: LAS ZLA 124.20 can it be added?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
A request to have 124.20 added to the ZLA feed at KLAS. This is an important frequency for high/low traffic going east over Las Vegas/Utah/Arizona. Can it be added? Thank you very much for this service.

I'm not sure if this one could be added, unless the provider for the #2 feeds is able to add it.

I say this because there is a thread here about how the LAS Final/ZLA feed is set up around that area and how it isn't using a simple scanner to get the feed. I also want to say that even when I was living there, I couldn't pick up the controller side of things despite having line of sight with the Mt. Potosi RCAG, so it may be hard to pick that one up.

Dave or the feed providers can provide more info on this, but definitely run a search of the forums regarding this and splitting Final from the ZLA feed. That should pull up the thread in question.

BL.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:00:56 AM »

I'm not sure if this one could be added, unless the provider for the #2 feeds is able to add it.

I say this because there is a thread here about how the LAS Final/ZLA feed is set up around that area and how it isn't using a simple scanner to get the feed. I also want to say that even when I was living there, I couldn't pick up the controller side of things despite having line of sight with the Mt. Potosi RCAG, so it may be hard to pick that one up.

Dave or the feed providers can provide more info on this, but definitely run a search of the forums regarding this and splitting Final from the ZLA feed. That should pull up the thread in question.

BL.

I remember that topic but it was before the current LAS setup. The ZLA feed has Final approach and if that final approach freq could be moved to the main approach feed, and 124.20 added in its place to ZLA then LAS coverage would be perfect. At minimum you could hear the aircraft on 124.20 even if you cant hear the controllers.

As a bonus moving Final Approach out of ZLA would free up that feed because Final Approach always is so busy and its hard to hear anything else during busy times.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »

BL.

I remember that topic but it was before the current LAS setup. The ZLA feed has Final approach and if that final approach freq could be moved to the main approach feed, and 124.20 added in its place to ZLA then LAS coverage would be perfect. At minimum you could hear the aircraft on 124.20 even if you cant hear the controllers.

As a bonus moving Final Approach out of ZLA would free up that feed because Final Approach always is so busy and its hard to hear anything else during busy times.

Found the thread in question:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/feed-outagestatus-reports/klas-feeds-down-due-to-network-outage/

Here was Dave's response to the same request:

Things aren't always what they seem.  Those individual feeds aren't real radios.  They are enabled by an SDR which only has 2.5 MHz of tunable bandwidth.

This is still the same setup that LAS has today, so if anything, ZLA would have to be added to the backup feed, which may only get the pilot side of things if the frequency isn't housed at the Mt. Potosi RCAG.

We were both active in the thread as well.

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:53:28 AM »
We will be adding some other ZLA frequencies at one of our Las Vegas area receiving sites...can't do it right now due to a piece of failed equipment but it's on the list.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
We will be adding some other ZLA frequencies at one of our Las Vegas area receiving sites...can't do it right now due to a piece of failed equipment but it's on the list.

Thank you very much