airtraffic

Author Topic: Crash at Nashville goes unnoticed for hours  (Read 5584 times)

Offline NoMad

Crash at Nashville goes unnoticed for hours
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:04:27 AM »
A little strange to say the least.  I can understand not seeing the crash due to poor visibility.  But if this guy was actually cleared to land at that airport, I don't know how a controller doesn't think it is odd that the pilot is never heard from again after being cleared to land. This strikes me as nearly impossible.  Makes me wonder if the pilot accidentally crash landed at the wrong airport.  Or if he had an emergency that resulting in a loss of communication and xpdr and was shooting from the hip to make an emergency appearance at the airport.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/29/us/plane-crash-mystery/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Authorities struggled to explain how a small plane crashed at an international airport, erupted in fire, but evidently went unnoticed for hours.  The incident occurred early Tuesday in Nashville.  But exactly what time remains a mystery.

The single-engine Cessna registered to the Windsor Flying Club in Ontario, Canada, evidently crashed sometime after 3 a.m. local time, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.  But it wasn't noticed until well after sunrise when another plane taxiing for take-off saw an engine cover on the edge of runway 2C -- the middle of three parallel runways. Controllers contacted airport personnel, who found the fire-scarred wreckage. The plane's sole occupant was dead, officials said.

The airport's control tower is staffed 24 hours a day, the Federal Aviation Administration told CNN. But it was not immediately clear how many controllers were in the tower during the overnight shift.  An FAA spokesman said there was low visibility overnight and fog. Another FAA spokesman said it was not known whether the plane had been in contact with controllers, or if it had made a distress call.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:42:27 PM by NoMad »

Offline shammy

Re: Crash at Nashville goes unnoticed for hours
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
Anything interesting on the KBNA feed between 3am-6am local?

Offline abelenky

Re: Crash at Nashville goes unnoticed for hours
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
I've reviewed most of that audio from the archives, and didn't hear anything interesting.

RVR was consistently low (typically around 700), and there were very few operations, generally on 2L.

The most interesting thing I noticed was that one of the LiveATC files was 4 minutes shorter than the others.
(they are typically all 30 minutes long).