airtraffic

Author Topic: What's up with the JFK tower feed?  (Read 7452 times)

Offline rdcolles

What's up with the JFK tower feed?
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
I usually listen to my local airport (GRR) but occasionally listen to JFK tower.  Just got a Droid Bionic and installed the liveatc app and it works great with my local airport.  Selected to listen to JFK and the right and left stereo channels were not in sync. Assumed that it was a problem with the APP, but today I'm experiencing the same thing on my home computer which has never had this problem.  Tried both the Java and Flash players with the same result. 

Offline vnenov

Re: What's up with the JFK tower feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
You don't happen to hear the JFK tower on the left stereo channel and the pilots on the right or vice versa, do you? That will be a real improvement if that was the case:-)

Offline rdcolles

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »
Earlier today on the right channel I was hearing the tower and pilots.  On the left channel I was hearing just the tower, about 10 seconds behind the right channel.

It's now changed.  On the right channel I am hearing just the pilots.  On the left channel I am hearing the tower and the pilots about 10 seconds behind the right channel.

Strange.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:22:44 PM by rdcolles »

Offline athaker

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:26:57 AM »
The same thing happened to me earlier this week, listening to the Java version in browser.  JFK tower only.

Offline rdcolles

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
This morning I have the problem on all browser options (Flash, Java, MP3 player) and my Android phone.

Offline NoMad

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
The sound card must be switched to stereo mix and the live feed is up on the computer.  So you're hearing the computer hear it self on the internet.

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
I noticed that while editing a clip. If you are listening to the all/119.1 priority feed, then I think that the 119.1 is split so that it goes in the left side and the 123.9 is split so that it comes in on the right side or something like that. Then hearing something twice is like the controller on 119.1 says something and since there might nothing on the 123.9 then it will also come in on that side maybe a little bit delayed. I noticed that hearing something twice didn't happen all the time. I don't know the setup at JFK this is just an idea of mine...   

Offline vnenov

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
Does any of you fellows know who is providing the KJFK_twr feeds. Perhaps we can get this mystery resolved by the person in charge of this feed. It must be a simple explanation.

I personally would be delighted if the pilots and the controllers were always coming on separate stereo channels :-) since this will help me tremendously in my attempts to do real time automatic transcription and parsing of the ATC feeds. BTW, just out of curiosity, would any of you avid listeners of the LiveATC feeds be interested in such a functionality.  If so, please let me know, I'd be happy to show you what I have going with the JFK feed.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
Does any of you fellows know who is providing the KJFK_twr feeds. Perhaps we can get this mystery resolved by the person in charge of this feed. It must be a simple explanation.

I personally would be delighted if the pilots and the controllers were always coming on separate stereo channels :-) since this will help me tremendously in my attempts to do real time automatic transcription and parsing of the ATC feeds. BTW, just out of curiosity, would any of you avid listeners of the LiveATC feeds be interested in such a functionality.  If so, please let me know, I'd be happy to show you what I have going with the JFK feed.

LiveATC (me) runs that feed.  This is only an issue when the controllers are simulcasting.  There are separate feeds for each Tower frequency - the simple solution is to tune into those separate feeds.