Author Topic: KOKC and KPWA feed is established!  (Read 11615 times)

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
KOKC and KPWA feed is established!
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
I have both KOKC and KPWA up and running. The audio feed is connected to my dual band ham radio and there is no 'delay' feature, however, I was able to set up the primary vfo with a mute function which allows the primary vfo (KPWA) to mute the secondary vfo (KOKC) if both vfos are receiving a transmission.  I have better reception with KPWA and it's my favorite local GA airport, which is why it's set as my primary vfo. In the near future, I plan to purchase a dedicated scanner for the feed.

You will need to search for 'KOKC' to hear this feed. Below is what you will hear:

KOKC Will Rogers World Airport
Tower: 119.350
OKE City Approach/Departure: 124.600

KPWA Wiley Post Airport
Tower: 126.900

NOTE: At the time of this post (1-23-2011), the KOKC feed is NOT on the liveatc website yet, as it is still under review by the admin. Please allow a few days for it to be published.

Offline tyketto

Re: KOKC and KPWA feed is established!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »

Nice!! thank you for that!

I'll have a got at these a bit later today.

BL.

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
You're welcome! Dave published the feed this morning. I'll be improving the system over time, so please bare with me and enjoy the OKC feeds! :)

Offline hawker53

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
PWA booming in, sounds great!  OKC approach kind of muffled.  If you get tired of dead air, suggest 128.3 Kansas City Center low and 132.45 Fort Worth Center High, part of the antenna farm west of Rogers.  Great to hear something from central OK!

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
I second that, 132.450 would be nice, even if you can't get the controller.

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »
Hawker and Jetscan - Thanks for the feedback! Helps a lot. I'll look into the options you mention. :)

OKC center is muffled, because I kinda live in a hole from there (and 10 miles away) and my vertical is mounted on a 20' mast. I'm 8 miles from PWA and there are less obstructions in between. I am looking at getting a preamp, so that will be a huge help. I'll be testing my system with different freq's, antennas, etc...so things will be improving over time.

Thanks again for the feedback and glad you are enjoying the feed! :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:43:39 AM by kc5noi »

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Thanks for listening to my feed. I had no idea it would turn out with so many listeners. :) Keep in mind that this is a temporary system and I'm currently working on a permanent system. For now, I will have the feed up from 7:30AM CST to 10:00PM CST. There are reasons why this is a part-time setup, but please be patient as I will soon have a permanent system. In the meantime, I will test out different equipment to optimize the listening experience.

Thanks again!
Matt KC5NOI
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:35:41 PM by kc5noi »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:00:46 AM »

Like I said, thank you for putting it up!

My father lives about 5 miles north of KTIK, and I want to say that the TRACON is located at TIK or if it is over at the academy near Rogers, but can't be too sure. Last time I was on base there I was 7 years old. He is parallel to the final for 17, so I've seen my fair share of jets and military cargo planes come in and out.

So now both my hometowns are now covered: KOMA and KOKC!

BL.

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
I now have my permanent radio hooked up. It's a Kenwood handheld transceiver and is dedicated to scanning the airband only. Now, I'm working on getting another vertical with an inline preamp or a beam. I hope to have the antenna in the next month or so.

Note: Rogers Tower at KOKC is really noisy, so I will hold off on that freq until I get the antenna worked out. At least we can still listen to OKE Center and KPWA Tower.

I tried the above suggestions regarding 132.450 and 128.30, but I heard very little and when I did, it was noisy. My location and equipment is not allowing me to receive a good signal. Maybe once I get the preamp or beam, they will come in better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:06:45 PM by kc5noi »

Offline kc5noi

• Youtube Page
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
Jan 31, 2011

Sorry for the intermittant receive. I closed the squelch a little tighter yesterday due to some local QRM. I forgot to open it back up this morning, so it's cutting the weaker transmissions into bits. I'll try to smooth it out again this evening.