airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAX Approach Frequencies  (Read 21139 times)

Offline Lon

KLAX Approach Frequencies
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
Los Angeles International (KLAX) has four SoCal Approach frequencies:
  128.5 for approaches from 45 - 89 degees
  124.9 for approaches from 90 - 224 degrees
  124.5 for approaches from 225 - 44 degrees, and
  124.3 for approaches "from the west."
Does anyone know what approaches "from the west" includes, and why they would not be included within approaches from 225 - 44 degrees?

Offline tyketto

Re: KLAX Approach Frequencies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:31:32 AM »
Los Angeles International (KLAX) has four SoCal Approach frequencies:
  128.5 for approaches from 45 - 89 degees
  124.9 for approaches from 90 - 224 degrees
  124.5 for approaches from 225 - 44 degrees, and
  124.3 for approaches "from the west."
Does anyone know what approaches "from the west" includes, and why they would not be included within approaches from 225 - 44 degrees?

128.5 = Harbor sector. Covers everything north/northeast of Santa Monica Pier, with a ceiling of 7000ft, IIRC. All 24L/R arrivals are handled by this sector.

124.9 = Downey sector. Covers everything east coming in on the RIIVR2/SEAVU2 arrival stream. All 25L/R frequencies are handled by this sector.

124.5: I can't remember the name of this sector. However, this covers the arrivals from the west, meaning those coming in from the west, on the SADDE6/MOORPARK3/LEENA4 arrivals. This is a Feeder sector; just like the sector at the east end of SoCal, one sector sequences the arrivals to be fed into Downey or Harbor sector. In this case, This sector feeds Harbor from the west for the SADDE6/MOORPARK3 arrivals, as well as feeds Downey from the west for the LEENA4 arrival.

124.3... this one handles those arrivals who aren't fast enough to handle the SADDE/MOORPARK stream. Think of those Saabs, Brasilias, and other props going up the central coast to SBA, LPC, SMX, SBP, etc. Those are a separate stream in itself, which are also fed into Harbor sector. They are kept below the SADDE/MOORPARK stream, and merged in somewhere between SADDE and SMO, all going to Harbor sector for 24L or 24R.

Give you a better picture?

BL.

Offline Lon

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »
Thanks a million! This gives me a perfect picture. I looked all over the net -- including at the FAA website -- for this kind of explanation, before I started this thread. I found nothing but the frequency numbers -- no explanation at all. So your explanation is much appreciated.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:28:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm curious why you didn't include 125.2 on your list?

124.300 is mainly used for departures.

Lon,

Are you asking about this because you may be interested in hosting an LAX area feed? Or just to understand the local aviation frequencies? Please pm me if you like. Have a good day  :mrgreen:

Offline Lon

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:33:56 PM »
I didn't include 125.2 on my list because that frequency, along with 124.3, is used for departures; and the choice (for pilots) between those two is quite logical. 125.2 is for departures between 225° and 44°, while 124.3 is for departures to the rest of the compass, that is, between 45° and 224°.

The reason for my question was that I was confused about the assignments of approach frequencies. It looked to me as though there was an overlap between 124.3 which is for approaches "from the west" and 124.5 which is for approaches from 225° through 44° which includes the west.

I now realize that 124.3 is the frequency for approaches and departures "from the west." I assume that's the frequency used by smaller and slower planes that fly into and out of LAX, while the other SoCal frequencies are used by the big commercial jets. (Correct me, if I'm wrong about this.)

I asked because I'm a very low time student pilot, training out of the Long Beach Airport. I've talked with ATC, but only with Clearance, Ground and Tower, even when I've flown to other area airports. I haven't yet flown anywhere that required me to talk with SoCal, so I was curious about when and how pilots use the SoCal Approach and Departure frequencies.

I wasn't thinking about hosting the LAX feed. The LAX Tower is hosted right now, quite reliably. I don't think I live close enough to LAX to be able to pick up LAX Ground, Clearance, or SoCal, reliably.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Fine Business