airtraffic

Author Topic: KJFK - A lot more static.  (Read 4672 times)

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
KJFK - A lot more static.
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
Hello.
Apologies if this has already been made aware of but the tower and ground/delivery feed seems to have a lot more static during transmittions over the last few days. I thought it was down to atmospheric conditions? But then I noticed only one freq is being picked up on both tower and ground.

Again, sorry to nit pick.
.mark

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KJFK - A lot more static.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »
The JFK feed receivers are about a mile (as the crow flies) from JFK.  In that area there is a lot of RF interference and mixing of radio signals that produce spurs (spurious signals) inside the receiver passbands.  We have as much filtering there as we can afford but no amount of filtering in that particular setup will eliminate the interference altogether.   

So a long way of saying...right now it is about as good as we can make it.

That being said, just checked in and found that the antenna got unplugged accidentally.  That could have been part of the recent issue - hard to tell.

Dave

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »
Yep. I was listening whilst it got plugged back in. It's a whole lot better now and back to it's usual self. :)

The feed is truly excellent. I listen to a lot of the KJFK feed and hardly ever hear the interference that you'd expect from from the surrounding vicinity.

Alas, the feed is spot on.

.mark

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
Yep. I was listening whilst it got plugged back in. It's a whole lot better now and back to it's usual self. :)

The feed is truly excellent. I listen to a lot of the KJFK feed and hardly ever hear the interference that you'd expect from from the surrounding vicinity.

Alas, the feed is spot on.

.mark

All I can say is... whoops!

Thats the only explanation I have, thanks for bringing this up!