Author Topic: KJFK to MDPP and what feeds to listen to  (Read 8498 times)

Offline NY4YA

KJFK to MDPP and what feeds to listen to
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
I am looking for someone who can help me navigate what feeds to listen to.  I am hoping to listen (as much as possible) to flights from NYC and Dominican Republic.  With a flight that filed a flight plan of "SHIPP LINND AZEZU L453 LEXAD L453 LAMER A554 PTA"  I was able to listen to them on the following 3 feeds and then I didn't know feed to click on next.

KJFK Ground
KJFK Tower
KJFK Departures

What feeds might I be able to pick them up on next?

Thanks  :-D

Offline InterpreDemon

Re: KJFK to MDPP and what feeds to listen to
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
About 45 min after departure you'll hear them check in on ARINC, 129.9

http://www.liveatc.net/play/kjfk_arinc.pls

They will report their position approximately 250 miles SE of JFK over waypoints RESCU, SAVIK, SQUAD, ROLLE, WEBB or OKONU depending upon which "Lima" route they are flying south that day. They will also request and receive HF frequency assignments for that day and hour, virtually all of which are covered by numerous LiveATC HF feeds if you search "HF" in the facility box. So, the first place to go on any given day after the flight has departed is to listen for them to check in on the JFK ARINC feed, after that you'll know what HF frequencies to tune in for the oceanic segment of the flight.

As they approach Bermuda they will briefly go back to VHF with NY Center (out of Bermuda) and then south of Bermuida they will be back on HF. If they are CPDLC connected you will only hear from them if they or ATC have a routing change request or when they change frequencies, if not connected they will give regular position reports over HF.

Offline NY4YA

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
Awesome I will give that a try!

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
"SHIPP LINND AZEZU L453 LEXAD L453 LAMER A554 PTA"

On this particular route, which seems to be the most common one used between JFK and POP ...

After New York Departure on 135.90 they will be handed off to New York Center on 128.30, then to New York Center on 133.50, then to New York Center on 126.02.

These 3 New York Center frequencies are covered by the "ZBW/ZNY/ZDC (JFK Area) #3" Live ATC radio. The handoff to 126.02 takes place as the aircraft approaches the LEXAD waypoint, which is pushing the limits of this radios range. 133.50 is also covered by the "ZNY ATL86/ZDC SIE54" radio and you can sometimes hear the handoff to 126.02 but won't hear anything south of LEXAD.

On this route via LEXAD.L453 the HF frequency assignment will be given by New York Center on 126.02 and not by ARINC in this case. There are no Live ATC radios with coverage of 126.02 in that area yet. (A radio covering New York on 126.02 would make a great feed as it covers the handoffs to the eastern Caribbean HF frequencies and would compliment the 129.90 ARINC feed mentioned above).

The New York Radio (ARINC) HF frequency will vary but 11396, 8918, 5550 are commonly used on L453. All 3 frequencies are covered by Live ATC radios (search the frequency to get the link). The first call will be over PAEPR, compulsory reporting waypoints on L453 are PAEPR, ONGOT, BOREX, LAMER. 

The aircraft will switch back to VHF over the LAMER waypoint to Miami Center on 135.20, then to Miami 132.30, then to Santo Domingo on 124.30, then to Puerto Plata Approach on 119.00, then to Puerto Plata Tower 118.00. There are no Live ATC radios I'm aware of with coverage of Miami Center in this area, there is/was one that coverd Santo Domingo but it seems to be down lately. (Search SDQ).

Offline NY4YA

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
You guys are the best.  Though I'm a tight budget I did make a tiny donation. Thank you