Author Topic: Airband dongles - is there an idiot's guide?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Rob K

Airband dongles - is there an idiot's guide?
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:08:20 PM »
Hi,

I've been considering trying out a dongle to pick up the air traffic at my local airport (LBA) which is 1 mile away.  The problem is I have absolutely no idea about the dongles and looking around the net it seems to be an absolute minefield with them available from just a few pounds to several hundred  :-o.  I see on globaltuners site that a few operators are streaming airband on "RTL 2832 SDR dongle" so they clearly work, however typing that into Ebay brings up about 1000 different results with a whole range of varying specs that mean nothing to me.

Is there an idiot's guide to these things for VHF airband?

I have a spare laptop, I have an internet connection and I have a decent loft space to hook up an antenna of some description (no option for an external installation sadly).  What do I need to buy and do to make this happen please?

One other question : my last experiences (25 years ago) running an airband radio and a computer (BBC Master 128!) at the same time resulted in very heavy electrical interference on the radio to the point where the squelch become redundant.  Is this still a problem these days or are things better shielded?  I have a desktop PC running 24/7 and it'll only be about 10-15ft away from the antenna with no option to increase the distance.

Thanks.  :-D