Author Topic: JFK feeds down  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

JFK feeds down
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
Is there a reason for the JFK feeds to be down? Why isn't it mentioned on the feed outage status report?

Chananya

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: JFK feeds down
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
There could be numerous reasons why a feed is down and ten times that number as to why you don't see a notification in that status report forum.

Foremost, as you know by now feeds are run by volunteers, not some paid staff member.  Therefore your expectations need to be dialed down just a bit. Secondly, the feeder may not know the feed is down or get this, his Internet connection could be down, preventing him from actually coming here to post a status report!

In any manner, given the popularity of that feed I am confident that steps are being taken behind the scenes to rectify the situation.  My friendly advice to you would be to grab some of the JFK archives from last night around 21:30 local time (0130 Z from today) while you await its return.  I was listening as a sever t-storm line moved over the city and airport and it was high drama on the frequency, let me tell you!  At one point on the tower freq a JetBlue had just announced a second go-around due to strong wind shear, the storm was approaching, and an aircraft needed to get back to the gate due to a passenger's medical emergency. 

Then what followed was at least two hours of gridlock on the taxiways.  At one point the CD controller answers back, "What do you want me to do here? You guys overburden this airport and then expect us to handle this mess." 

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »
Thanks. That was funny. I'll look it up.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
For almost all the Class B feeds, certainly any feeds run directly or indirectly by myself, my cell phone becomes very noisy when these feeds go down.  However, most outages are temporal and do not warrant posting to the forums about.  The feeds have been down for a couple hours and I trust will be back later.  This appears to be an Internet connectivity issue.

I'd also remind you that this is a free service that gets a lot more criticism when things are down than donations to help bring up new big feeds and keep things running.

So if you want to criticize, at least kick in a few bucks with your complaint.  :-)

Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
No intent to be rude. I just love this stuff. Maybe I'll donate when I move out of my parents' house and get a job.

Chananya

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
There was a major power outage affecting long island and the city

Offline heavyjet

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:57:04 AM »
  They're not down, go to maps and you'll get it.