airtraffic

Author Topic: Indianapolis, IN  (Read 7018 times)

Offline ChrisG

Indianapolis, IN
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:20 PM »
Hey all.....I am new to the forum....it is great to be here.  I am just a big fan of airplanes in general....I'm a disgruntled "wanna be" pilot.  I enjoy listening to atc on this site whenever possible...THANKS!!

2 questions......what do you think my chances are....living about 10-15 air miles from the airport, being able to pick up ground frequencies....even if I build a j-pole antenna?  I DO sit up pretty high.....I'm thinkin my chances might be pretty good.

2.  At the moment, anyway, the Indy feed is down.  It is shown as being on and working, but there is no audio.  Is it just ME, or is there something else going on?  Just wanted to let you know.....

THANKS.....looking forward to being part of this community!!

cg

Offline IndyTower

Re: Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »
Hey sorry bout that....the scanner got unplugged when my internet connection was down and I thought I turned the feed off.  However, my connection has been off and on the last few days, so no gurantee it'll stay up.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Matt

Offline ChrisG

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
Hey sorry bout that....the scanner got unplugged when my internet connection was down and I thought I turned the feed off.  However, my connection has been off and on the last few days, so no gurantee it'll stay up.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Matt

Hey Matt.......no problem at ALL......when it is up and working, I really enjoy listening in....so thanks for that.

Just curious....how far are you from the airport, and what kind of equipment are you using?  I am up on the north-east side, and I have an interest in purchasing a scanner, and maybe building myself a j-pole antenna. 

cg

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 03:46:04 PM »
I'm on the westside about 3 miles north of the field off Rockville near Avon.

I have a Radio Shack Pro-94 and a outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna which actually I have inside...I pick up transmissions well enough that I don't think I really need to mount it outside.

I've for years been trying to get a few feeds around Indy set up but haven't had the time or resources...I'd be happy to help out with getting a better feed setup in Indy.

I'll PM you with my #.

Matt

Offline nd0725

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »
I don't even see indianapolis listed anymore on the class c airports?what happened?

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
I think this is an issue with the server move, as the feed is up on my end.  Dave probably has an idea of what's going on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:00:50 PM by IndyTower »

Offline nd0725

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:22 AM »
Just curious..how often do they use the runway that runs northewest to southeast?i believe it's maybe 14?The one that is close to the I-70/465 exit?

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
Just curious..how often do they use the runway that runs northewest to southeast?i believe it's maybe 14?The one that is close to the I-70/465 exit?

It's the crosswind runway, so it's not used as the primary runway unless winds are fairly strong from the northwest or the southeast.  That seems to happen more often in the spring as fall.  There are times during these seasons where it'll be in use as the primary for a few days at a time. 

When it's used for capacity reasons, they'll often land 5L and 5R and depart 32 or 14, or land on the crosswind and depart of the 5s.  What they have to be extra careful of there is traffic crossing 14/32 coming and going to and from the parallels. 

You'll almost never seem them land 23s and use 14/32 at the same time as that would be somewhat inefficient.  They would have to be concerned about landing traffic on the 23s while an aircraft is landing or departing 14/32.  It'd be one thing if they ran it like SFO where simultaneous approaches to the 23s were run side by side and the shot the gap with departures on 14/32,  but the parallels are far enough apart that this is not necessary.

On the other hand of that, however, there are times that an inbound aircraft will request 14/32 for winds or to decrease taxi time or any other reason and if tower's able they'll be vectored for the approach.

I personally enjoy when they land 32 or depart 14 as they pass about half a mile from me...always nice to watch without having to drive to the airport.

Hope that helps some, someone else may be able to throw some more reasons in.

Matt

Offline nd0725

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:24:06 AM »
thank you for the explanation.You have been very helpful