Author Topic: Instrument radio communication  (Read 7302 times)

Offline B7471

Instrument radio communication
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »
Hi all,

I am beginning an instrument rating in Australia. Does anyone know references (books, audio clips) that can help me to get hold of radio comms?

Thanks heaps. Please anyone share your experience.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Instrument radio communication
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
Hey, congratulations!  I enjoyed my instrument training more than the private.

One of the regular contributors, RB (not sure of what those initials mean), took the time to create an audio clip of IFR clearances specifically for students like yourself to use for clearance copying and readback practice.

Check out the thread and get the clip here:  http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,4278.0.html

Note that there may be some subtle differences between the phraseology here and Australia, as this clip was made from a US-based clearance feed.

Also, I believe that listening to LiveATC's live feeds of approach facilities or some of the busier center facilities should familiarize yourself with the patterns of communication, especially the approach clearance and the hold clearance, both which tend to be the biggest hurdle behind copying and reading back an IFR clearances for instrument students.

As far as books, I am a bit hesitant to recommend the book that I once used called Say Again, Please, by Bob Gardner, only because I am not sure if the differences between US and ICAO phraseology are large enough to cause you confusion.  Perhaps someone with more international aviation experience can comment.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Re: Instrument radio communication
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »
I also grabbed a copy of Say Again, Please and found that there were quite a few differences between it and Canadian rules.

I suspect that Canada follows more ICAO standards than the US does.

That said. I'm actually looking to convert my Canadian licence to an Australian one as I am planning on going on an extended trip to Oz and would like to do some flying there.