airtraffic

Author Topic: How do they choose names and call signs? and other anomalies  (Read 22107 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

How do they choose names and call signs? and other anomalies
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
Well...here's an interesting one for you: how do they come up with the names such as United Airlines, Continental Airlines, Jet Blue Airways, American Eagle, Virgin America (Call sign Redwood) or Air Trans Airways (call sign Citrus), US Airways/America West (call sign Cactus) just out of curiosity what's the nature behind these and how do they come up with these names?

Here's something else interesting for you: lets take for example Southwest Airlines, but yet they fly out of Chicago now at Newark New Jersey, Philadelphia, etc.? These are not Southwestern cities.  Can someone shed some light on anomalies that I have posted here? Thank you.

Offline Walters

• My Myspace page
Re: How do they choose names and call signs? and other anomalies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
Airtran is based out of Orlando which is in Florida which is know for Citrus production. America West was based in Arizona which has lots of Cacti, Virgin America is based in Northern California which is know for its Redwood Forests..Southwest originally only flew in the Southwestern US just never changed the name as they grew
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:59:59 PM by Walters »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »

It really depends on what they want. For example, National Airlines (MUA) started out as Murray Air merged with Murray Aviation under their new Part 121 license, so they went with "Murray" for the callsign.

Its predecessor was based in Vegas. Redrock Canyon is 10 miles west of Vegas, so "Redrock" was used.

Republic Airways was based in Indianapolis. The speedway there for the Indy 500 is nicknamed the Brickyard, so "Brickyard".

Canada 3000 at the time it was running, was the only Canadian charter airline, hence "Elite".

Skyservice.. not entirely sure on how they got SkyTour..

Aer Lingus? It's Ireland. so "Shamrock".

South African Airlines? The Springbok is a well known animal, domestic to down there.. so "Springbok".

So there are plenty more, but it's namely all about what the people at the airlines want.

BL.

So it really just has to do with what the brass at the airline wants..

Offline jdflyer

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:50:59 AM »
An airline named Resort Air started with a single Metroliner out of the Lake of the Ozarks and was dubbed "Waterski".  Later they attached to TWA under the name Trans World Express and then Trans States when TWA merged into American but they still use the callsign "Waterski".

Unofficially, I used to hear Ozark Airline referred to as "Krazo".

Oops corrected my earlier error.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:57:01 PM by jdflyer »

Offline Casper87

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
"Here's something else interesting for you: lets take for example Southwest Airlines, but yet they fly out of Chicago now at Newark New Jersey, Philadelphia, etc.? These are not Southwestern cities."

The name doesn't exactly reflect the nature of the business, or routes. Air France fly to a lot more places than France.

C

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
"Here's something else interesting for you: lets take for example Southwest Airlines, but yet they fly out of Chicago now at Newark New Jersey, Philadelphia, etc.? These are not Southwestern cities."

The name doesn't exactly reflect the nature of the business, or routes. Air France fly to a lot more places than France.

C

Southwest has the name it does because it was started in Texas flying between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Originally intended to provide intrastate service in Texas, Southwest actually began life in 1967 as Air Southwest. It wasn't until 1971, when the airline began service, that it changed it's name to Southwest Airlines. Service started with only three B737-200 series aircraft to the cities I mentioned above. That's why Southwest is called Southwest... 8-)

Delta Airlines actually started as Huff Daland Dusters, Incorporated, an aerial crop dusting service in 1924 in Macon, Ga. Then moved to Monroe, La, in 1925, changed its name to Delta Air Service (servicing the Mississippi River Delta area (hence the name "DELTA")) in 1928. Delta started carrying passengers in 1929. In 1941, Delta moved to the familiar KATL hub. Delta serves way more then the Mississippi River Delta today but maintains the name... :wink:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:55:19 AM by joeyb747 »

Offline sykocus

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
 Air France fly to a lot more places than France.

C
[/quote]

yes, but it IS the national airline of France

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
Very interesting stuff.  I never thought it was so complicated.  Keep posting interesting stuff about this topic as I still want to learn more.  Nice to see you show up Jason.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »
Southwest has the name it does because it was started in Texas flying between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio

Indeed. My point being, although not explained in detail, was that yes, historically a number of airlines are named after there originating  location or region. But that does not always reflect the routes that are flown as airlines expand, codeshare or merge.

yes, but it IS the national airline of France

Yes it is.

C

Offline Seaduck123

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
When looking for the story behind airline names and call signs, google is your friend.  A couple of interesting call signs to look up are Bluestreak and Waterski. 

Offline phil-s

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »
And "Eagle Flight" for American Eagle,  though I do hear just "Eagle" every now and again. 

Offline Carmelo

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »
Tiger Airways in Australia callsign is "Go Cat" is actualy food for cats that you can buy in the supermarket how do you explain that one.

Regards Lino.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »

Found it. Skytour was a combination of "Skyservice" and their parent company, Airtours 2000. So "SkyTour".

China Airlines: think about all of the dynasties in China, so "Dynasty".

SkyEurope: Not sure here.. may be a charter, but didn't think it was.. callsign: Relax.

Astraeus: Rather fitting, given how it sounds like something Greek with astronomy.. so: Flightstar.

BL.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »

China Airlines: think about all of the dynasties in China, so "Dynasty".

Dynasty is also the name of their FF program.

Offline ralawrencejr

• ralawrence.us
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »
Chapter 3 in FAA Contractions http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/CNT.pdf

Knowing them is one thing.. but I think the OP was asking how they choose them, and the meaning of the callsigns..

BL.

Offline StrongDreams

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
Knowing them is one thing.. but I think the OP was asking how they choose them, and the meaning of the callsigns..

BL.
From the foregoing discussion you can see that there are a lot of different stories about how airlines got their FAA/ICAO call signs.  I don't think I could give a blanket explanation.  Best bet is google or wikipedia.  If you can't find a particular call sign that you want, ask here specifically.