Author Topic: How could we get UK Feeds up behind OFCOMS back?  (Read 7078 times)

Offline HeathrowATC

How could we get UK Feeds up behind OFCOMS back?
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Hello guys,

How could we?

I was thinking to protect feeders put up an IP Block that blocks there IP from being shown.

Any i heard that the CAA won't assist in the charging of anyone caught.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:23:33 PM by HeathrowATC »

Offline tyketto

Re: How could we get UK Feeds up behind OFCOMS back?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »
Hello guys,

How could we?

I was thinking to protect feeders put up an IP Block that blocks there IP from being shown.

Any i heard that the CAA won't assist in the charging of anyone caught.

Not a good idea, IMHO.

First, it would be placing this site in violation of UK laws, which the British gov't could enact a C&D takedown of this entire site, including all feeds not based in the UK. That's a huge liability that I don't think Dave et. al. would want to take on.

The best way to get UK feeds up would be for you guys in the UK to lobby and contact all of your reps in Parliament and get the Telephony law repealed or updated.

BL.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
Yeah, they wont go for the small guys... they will try to take down liveatc as a whole.

Gecko1

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
Right, you never try to incite the wrath of an entire government if you are a nonprofit website owner.
It will take more than a few people to get enough attention to get that law changed. Someone just needs to gather enough people to support a petition. (Raise awareness in the general public, maybe.) 

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »
a petition closed on the 10 downing street website in feb. i think a couple of hundred signatures were taken, however i don't think anybody from the government responded as the issue didn't attract that much attention... only those in the UK could sign the petition.

we're a niche market i'm afraid. :\
if liveatc.net were to start streaming UK atc i think it may be a case of OFCOM requesting a US department to take action and considering how close UK and US relations are, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:21:02 PM »
a petition closed on the 10 downing street website in feb. i think a couple of hundred signatures were taken, however i don't think anybody from the government responded as the issue didn't attract that much attention... only those in the UK could sign the petition.

we're a niche market i'm afraid. :\
if liveatc.net were to start streaming UK atc i think it may be a case of OFCOM requesting a US department to take action and considering how close UK and US relations are, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

IIRC, that already happened once here, or at least at another place that had a EGLL feed. OFCOM came out real quick with a takedown notice, and it went down after a day or so. It was posted here too, so a quick search through the forum should come up with the thread on it..

BL.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »
IIRC, that already happened once here, or at least at another place that had a EGLL feed. OFCOM came out real quick with a takedown notice, and it went down after a day or so. It was posted here too, so a quick search through the forum should come up with the thread on it..

From what I recall of Dave's post discussing this back when he made the notice public here he was under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to adhere to the threats of the UK regarding this issue.  He simply did it to do the "right thing."

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
If and when I decide to host U.K. feeds I will certainly post here.   For now, nothing anyone says will change my mind.  If I wanted to hide the feeder traffic from easy tracing I could do that too.  If I intended to do that it would be done already.

And as to all the FUD postings in this thread, I will only say that the British government wouldn't get far with trying to take this site down, regardless of our rosy relations with them. This site is here primarily for educational purposes, and serves a useful purpose for a very wide audience.  The site counts in its ranks those very people who would be charged with taking it down.  Not going to happen.  At the risk of sounding vague, there are other reasons this won't happen that I will not elaborate on in a public forum.

It is my choice to not host the U.K. feeds; not the coercion of a the U.K. government's lackeys.  My choice is to not put well-intentioned U.K. citizens at risk of being harassed by their own government; a government that should be spending their time on more productive things.

End of story.  So, please, don't stir this pot.

Dave