airtraffic

Author Topic: Hi To All....  (Read 15635 times)

Offline jmp1500

Hi To All....
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »
I'm new to this site and just want to say that it's an excellent site!  The best, by far, of all the atc monitoring sites I've found.  Most of the sites I've found before this one had broken links or were off-line far more than they were on-line. 

I'm 43, a licensed ham radio operator and scanner buff, as well as an aviation buff.  Professionally I'm an emergency services dispatcher, something I've been doing for 16 years and still waiting for it to turn into a job (they're paying me to have fun).  I live in northern NJ about 30 or so miles northwest of NYC.  This site has revitalized my aviation hobby.  I usually listen to the LAX link, though I've listened to most all of them.  I've also reinstalled AirNav Live Flight Tracker.  Between the links here and my own scanners I've really enjoyed listening to, and tracking, aircraft again.  I've just gotten into ACARS monitoring as well, something I've never done before.

I went through the audio archives...some great clips there but my favorites are Boston John (is he still working?) and the final Concorde departure from JFK. 

The enclosed picture is of my ham shack/monitoring post.  It's a great place to hang out and relax!

Offline bluecrewfan08

Re: Hi To All....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
Awesome!. Now that's a "man cave" . I am envious.

Welcome aboard.

Rob

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
Welcome aboard its good to have a fellow Ham :-) Nice pick of your shack !

Would love to have a QSO with ya on the air we meet Regular M-F SSB net on 75 Meters (3820 KHz) come join us at www.camradio.net from there you will be able to see what my shack looks like 

73s
From Las Vegas, NV
Glenn KB6HLM

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »
Wow, what a setup!

73's
Ken (Alameda, CA)
N6GOH

Offline KPryor

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
Welcome and 73's from another fellow Ham!
Ken
KA9PHI

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
Great setup you have there. Welcome to the site, and enjoy!

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »
A story: I found this website by accident! I was searching for scanner frequencies for when I went to Israel last year. I was doing a google search, not having much success, then I saw this sight. I wasn't sure what it was until I looked around and saw that this was the best website for me to keep tabs on. I love this place. Welcome and have a good time.

Chananya

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
Off course, someone has to ask the question nobody dares to ask:

Can you receive some ATC frequencies that are worth to feed?  :-)

Offline RV1

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
'Off course, someone has to ask the question nobody dares to ask:

Can you receive some ATC frequencies that are worth to feed?' 

I thought that the question that nobody wanted to ask was "Can that thing make a good cup of coffee?"

Offline jmp1500

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
First off I want to say thanks for all the compliments and nice words......radio/aviation buffs really are the nicest people!

MathFox wrote:

Off course, someone has to ask the question nobody dares to ask:

Can you receive some ATC frequencies that are worth to feed?

I wish I did.  I live in northern NJ, under the approach paths to Newark International's 22-Runways, about 20-25 miles northwest of the airport.  They're low enough coming over my backyard that I can usually make out the tail livery.  Unfortunately even being that close to Newark I can only hear the aircraft, not the controllers.  My scanners are fed by a roof-mounted discone antenna on my old TV antenna mast and run through an antenna preamp.  The closest controlled general aviation airport to me is Essex County (KCDW), about 10 miles south of my location.  Monitoring  the ground and tower there is hit-or-miss.  Either the tower and ground controllers are booming in loud and clear or you'd swear it was an uncontrolled airport.  Teterboro Airport (KTEB) is about the same distance away to the east but with a mountain between me and the airport ground reception isn't possible.  Finally, Morristown Airport (KMMU) is about 20 miles to the southwest of me, ruling out any chance of ground reception there.  There are 2 uncontrolled airports by me, Lincoln Park (N07) and Greenwood Lake (N41) but I wouldn't think that listening to UNICOM would be all that feed-worthy.

Now....if NY Center was just located in north Jersey....... :| 

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »
Thanks.... I more or less guessed that reception was not very interesting from your location.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
Nice steup !

Now....if NY Center was just located in north Jersey.......

There's a NY Center transmitter site co-located with the Sparta VOR, about 11-14 miles NW of your location, at an elevation of around 1155 feet. Can your hear the morse code ident of the VOR on 115.700 ? NY Center SAX 36 Sector on 133.150 is listed as transmitting from that location, can you hear the controller on that frequency ?

DJ   

Offline jmp1500

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
DJ wrote:

There's a NY Center transmitter site co-located with the Sparta VOR, about 11-14 miles NW of your location, at an elevation of around 1155 feet. Can your hear the morse code ident of the VOR on 115.700 ? NY Center SAX 36 Sector on 133.150 is listed as transmitting from that location, can you hear the controller on that frequency ?

DJ

Thanks for the compliment on the shack and for the frequency tip.  Unfortunately all I get from 133.150 is just the aircraft and I can't pick up the CW ident on 115.700.  I live in a valley so reception is limited.  Couple that with the fact that most of northern NJ is nothing but hills and I'm not surprised I can't hear the Sparta site.  Before I put up the roof-mounted antenna/preamp combo I was lucky to hear my local PD/FD/EMS units, though I always heard aircraft, for obvious reasons.  Once I put up the outdoor antenna and preamp reception for me increased dramatically.  I can now hear both sides of the conversations of the emergency services in 5 northern NJ counties as well 3 counties in southern NY, FDNY, and the railroads.  I was hoping I'd be able to hear both sides of aviation but I guess it wasn't meant to be.  Still, being only able to hear the aircraft still gives me a pretty good idea of what's going on.  Especially when using Flight Tracker.

I do enjoy air monitoring when I visit my parents in Omaha, NE, especially since Omaha PD and FD went APCO-25.  I take one of my Bearcat 780's with me to Omaha whenever I go to visit.  The very first time I went there I also took along the preamp.  The radio is programmed with Chicago Center, Kansas City Center, Eppley Airport and Offut AFB frequencies.  That first time in Omaha I plugged in the preamp, turned everything on, and the radio front end overloaded.  Turned off the preamp and heard both sides of the conversations from both Chicago and Kansas City, with just the back-of-set antenna!  Gotta love the flat midwest!

Offline tyketto

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
DJ wrote:

I do enjoy air monitoring when I visit my parents in Omaha, NE, especially since Omaha PD and FD went APCO-25.  I take one of my Bearcat 780's with me to Omaha whenever I go to visit.  The very first time I went there I also took along the preamp.  The radio is programmed with Chicago Center, Kansas City Center, Eppley Airport and Offut AFB frequencies.  That first time in Omaha I plugged in the preamp, turned everything on, and the radio front end overloaded.  Turned off the preamp and heard both sides of the conversations from both Chicago and Kansas City, with just the back-of-set antenna!  Gotta love the flat midwest!

+1! +1!

I was born/raised in Omaha, and at one point, lived underneath the right base entry for the 14s. Eventually we moved out to near KMLE, which is a nice little Class D field. I also went to Univ. of Nebraska at Omaha. but looking back on things now, I see the irony of it all; I had nothing to do with aviation/ATC at all when I was there, and instead studied Comp. Sci. I move to Las Vegas, get hit by the ATC/flying bug, and then see that one of the best places I could have gone to get into it, was UNO..  Classic case of "if I knew then what I know now..."

If you're getting that strong a signal when you're there, you should be able to pick up KLNK, KSUX, KDSM, the ZMP sectors that overly them, and the Columbus FSS.

Let me know when you head back there! If I'm there, I have some friends at R90, so I could arrange a tour of the TRACON.

BL.

Offline KPryor

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »
We're getting so many Hams here, maybe we should set up or own net on HF sometime.  Of course, I'd have to use my Dad's equipment as I no longer have any HF gear, but it's a thought.
KP

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »
We're getting so many Hams here, maybe we should set up or own net on HF sometime.  Of course, I'd have to use my Dad's equipment as I no longer have any HF gear, but it's a thought.
KP

Sure

Come join us at www.camradio.net

Ill try to be on tonight after 0400 GMT just look at my cam to see what frequency I will be on (most likely 75m band)

Hope to catch ya on :-)

From Las Vegas, NV
DE KB6HLM

Offline jsapyta

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:49 AM »
Man, nice equipment there, some nice HF and other stuff. You should think about setting up your own feed.

John
N7XLQ

P.S. Anyone here use Echolink on the net?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:14:24 AM by jsapyta »

Offline KPryor

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
Sure

Come join us at www.camradio.net

Ill try to be on tonight after 0400 GMT just look at my cam to see what frequency I will be on (most likely 75m band)

Hope to catch ya on :-)

From Las Vegas, NV
DE KB6HLM

Sorry I missed you!  I don't have any HF stuff here at home, so I'd have to head over to my parents house to use my Dads gear.  Perhaps I'll join you sometime soon :)
KP

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
I actually run a CDW/N07 feed (since I fly out of N07 that includes the GCO at N07).  I also run a separate MMU feed. It's true, the gnd reception isn't good, but I can pick up the tower and any aircraft in the air, which is key.

That's a monster setup, thanks for posting it! If you're able to pick up TEB twr and aircraft in the air, I know many ppl would love to hear it (even if you can't get planes on the gnd.)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
I live about 11 SE of SAX VOR. I tried 115.70 but couldn't hear the ident. 133.15 is pilot side only, same experience as the original poster.