Author Topic: HF/Oceanic Feeds?  (Read 9947 times)

Offline Engjell Berisha

HF/Oceanic Feeds?
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
Good Day Mates I'm knew to the LiveATC Discussion Forums, my name is Engjell Berisha I live in Staten Island, NY and I'm a realworld pilot (182's/172's etc). I'm a big Flight Sim buff also - great stuff!

Anyway I posted this because I was wondering, shouldn't there be a lot more North Atlantic Traffic, or is it just me as every time I listen to the HF Feeds I get nothing for hours, not even position reports I keep expecting them but nope all I hear is the HF Buggs! Anyway is it just me or is there something wrong with the feed?

Does anyone ever hear anything on it?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:46:38 AM by Engjell Berisha »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: HF/Oceanic Feeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »
I run the Atlantic HF NAT Tracks feed on the U.S. side.  This feed switches frequency every 30 minutes in an attempt to be on a variety of frequencies throughout the day.  Automatically finding the current best frequency in use is an educated guess, based on typical radio propagation during the day and evening.  Sunspot numbers affect the frequencies in use, and it is difficult to track in an automatic way.

Perhaps I can entrust a group of listeners to help keep the feed on an active frequency.  I could put together a small web application to allow one to change frequencies remotely...would anyone be interested in helping with this?

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »
Thanks for posting this...I discovered this morning that the schedule is 4 hours off.  I had switched the host Linux system to UTC and forgot to modify the schedule, which was still tied to Eastern Time.  Whoops.

Fixed now...this should help a bit.

Dave

Offline Engjell Berisha

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »
Great I'll try it out as I'm about to do my some VFR Flight Simulator Flying and enjoy listening to Live ATC when I don't fly online.

And I would be glad to help in any way I can, just shot me and email at Simpilot04@msn.com.

SSgt. Engjell Berisha - Captain B767-300

Offline petervee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:32:56 AM »
Hi,
as someone who has monitored HF from South West Ireland, I can tell you that HF has fallen out of favor with many airlines who now use CPDLC (Controller to Pilot Data Link Control) i.e. satellite based ACARS-like position reports.
However, at present, most of them have to transmit position reports at 30degrees W, so after you hear them leaving Gander and checking SELCALs, you can calculate when they will be over the 30 degree mark. They then enter Shannon at 135.5, 132.15 or 131.15, which should be covered by Shannon ATC feed. The reverse happens over the other side. Shannon HF frequencies are 5616 and 5598 or 8864 and 8798. You can get the polar flights at 8871/4675 (all USB). The pole is not supported by CPDLC so HF is the norm up there.
Another way to monitor airlines over the atlantic is to use HFDL (download the free HFDL software from Charles Brain - search for Charles Brain HFDL) and use a USB radio selecting the frequencies for either Iceland or Shannon. It works very well and gives you postition information.
Peter

Offline m50

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:36:31 AM »
Hi Peter......Do you still live in  S.W.Ireland ????   reason why I ask is that we are looking  for someone  in the area to do a reliable stream in the Shannon atc area...I do the EIDW stream  but SNN is far out of my radio range

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 09:11:07 AM »
On my last few Atlantic crossings I've found the HF (we don't have CPDLC or ADS) to be very busy, to the point it was getting very frustrating trying to get a word in to send a position report. Try 5616 around 04Z-06Z, seems to be one of the busiest everytime I've had to use it.

Shannon HF frequencies are 5616 and 5598 or 8864 and 8798. You can get the polar flights at 8871/4675 (all USB). The pole is not supported by CPDLC so HF is the norm up there.

8798 I think you mean 8879 for Shanwick, and 8871 I think you mean 8891 for Arctic Radio.

This PDF download has some useful information ....

http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/CurrentHF%20Guide_pdf.zip

I know the Russians have had CPDLC up for a few years and I believe Edmonton (Arctic Radio for voice) has it now as well for the Polar stuff ? I haven't listened to any high Polar stuff lately (and don't fly those routes) so I don't know for sure. It would be interesting to try and listen to some of that North Pole area traffic.

I could put together a small web application to allow one to change frequencies remotely

Can you do this with my Boston Center VHF feed !?

DJ

Offline nycrich

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »
I know closer to home that Miami ARTCC is in the initial stages of testing CPDLC. On the sector 64 High 126.325 from Lakeland VOR to URS (URSUS waypoint) to Havana boundary it has been used.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50:55 PM »
I run the Atlantic HF NAT Tracks feed on the U.S. side.  This feed switches frequency every 30 minutes in an attempt to be on a variety of frequencies throughout the day.  Automatically finding the current best frequency in use is an educated guess, based on typical radio propagation during the day and evening.  Sunspot numbers affect the frequencies in use, and it is difficult to track in an automatic way.

Perhaps I can entrust a group of listeners to help keep the feed on an active frequency.  I could put together a small web application to allow one to change frequencies remotely...would anyone be interested in helping with this?

I now have a way for selected users to remotely control the HF radio on the Atlantic HF feed. 

I am seeking a volunteer or two who can keep the radio tuned to highly interesting and busy HF frequencies during the evening hours.  I took the log periodic array down recently so the daytime coverage will be relatively poor - night coverage is still excellent (Beverage listening antenna).

You need to have access to a Windows PC (preferably 2000 or XP) and be interested in HF ATC.

Contact me directly (no PM's please) at dave <at> liveatc.net if you are interested.

Thanks,
Dave