Author Topic: Help  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Help
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:54:09 PM »
I know alot of you have answered tons of questions regarding antennas, but the time has come for me to finally decide. First off, I want to know what your opinions are on even setting up an antenna. I live about 25-30 miles from sacramento international. I have a two-story house and a decent sized chimney to mount the antenna high up. If you know this area at all, its very flat(sacramento valley). So there are not any hills or mountains blocking the range. My question is, do you think its even worth setting it up if the airport is 25-30 miles away? I can pick up the planes with my smaller antenna pretty clear on the TWR freq, but of course, no atc. I also was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on type of discone, or even if you think a j-pole will pick up better. Below is a picture from mapquest showing the distance.
Any help would be cool.

http://www.mapquest.com/mqproxy/446a8eb0-002f0-07c69-1486bccd

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »
Try this first...if you have a handheld scanner, go up on your roof with a decent antenna (telescoping whip, if you have one) and try to pick up the controllers.  Usually that is a good enough indication without going to a lot of trouble.

An outside antenna is always worth it!

Dave

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »
Thanks Dave. Yeah I tried that, i sat on the roof with a radioshack "mini" discone. I couldnt get any of the controllers, although i picked up alot more, clearer, aircraft. Would you think a bigger discone would work any better?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »
Thanks Dave. Yeah I tried that, i sat on the roof with a radioshack "mini" discone. I couldnt get any of the controllers, although i picked up alot more, clearer, aircraft. Would you think a bigger discone would work any better?

Probably not.  At that distance you are probably looking at needing something with gain.  The Grove Scannerbeam might work.

http://www.grove-ent.com/BEAMII.html

-dave

Offline BMT

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »
I agree with Dave on the Grove scanner beam. Right now I'm monitoring Orlando Exec Tower on 239.0. Yesterday I had a plane in contact with Hunter AAF,Ga. Maybe I just live at one of those magic spots!! :-D

BMT

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:06:40 AM »
I had a similar antenna set up in my attic like the Grove antenna mentioned. It was about 35 feet high off the ground and I was picking up Controller/Aircraft transmissions from JFK which is about 25 miles from me and has terrain and the Manhattan buildings between me and JFK. So I would say the grove antenna could be a good bet

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »
Im actually thinking about getting one myself after I start my job this summer.

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »
Im actually thinking about getting one myself after I start my job this summer.

Test only. Sorry

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:32 PM »
cool. thank you all for the responces. ill be looking into that very soon.  :-D

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 12:33:23 AM »
I over estimated on the distance from me to the tower. I just measured on google earth and im just under 21 miles to the tower. Do you think a discone would pick up if im 20 miles away? or do you think i should still look at getting the grove scanner beam?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 05:36:30 AM »
I over estimated on the distance from me to the tower. I just measured on google earth and im just under 21 miles to the tower. Do you think a discone would pick up if im 20 miles away? or do you think i should still look at getting the grove scanner beam?

It all depends on the terrain.  Are you on higher ground than the airport?  Is there higher terrain between you and the airport?  If so, then you have a shot.  If not, then you're generally on the edge.

Unfortunately, there are enough variables involved that the only way to know is to try it.

Dave