airtraffic

Author Topic: Great Scanner Receiver  (Read 6034 times)

Offline n700ap

Great Scanner Receiver
« on: January 21, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »
Anyone looking for a sensitive, selective aircraft scanner, I can recommend the new Ramsey AR2.

Fun to build and has about a half a microvolt sensitivity across the entire aircraft band.

It is currently suppling the Palm Springs feed.

Check out www.ramseykits.com

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »
Wow that's hardcore.  :)

I don't understand why a scanner/receiver needs runway lighting control though. ?

Offline n700ap

Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:55:05 PM »
Inexpensive way for small airports to have pilots control runway lighting. Most uncontrolled airports have the capability of turning on runway lighting by clicking so many times (usually 3 -6) on the unicom frequency.

Offline IndyTower

Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »
I'm guessing he realizes that.  But this is a scanner, without a transmitter, therefore it wouldn't be used in flight for communication.  Therefore, you'd have no need to change the runway light intensity.  If you're flying, you'd have another radio with a transmitter that you can use for that purpose. I found that interesting too though.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 08:01:24 AM »
You guys are missing his point, I think.  The airport operators would install this receiver to control the lighting.

Offline Swiss_flight

Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »
Dave is correct. What that means is that the radio is capable of detecting, and counting, the number of "clicks" on the radio, as well as the fact that the pilot controlled lighting interface can be connected to the radio.

Isaac

Offline Tomato

Great Scanner Receiver
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
That looks like a fun kit!  I ordered a few kits from Ramsey in the past... maybe it's time to look to see what new kits they have.   8)