Author Topic: General info please  (Read 5138 times)

Offline BRAVO2ZERO

General info please
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
 When commercial jets taxi for takoff and are following others, do pilots take note of flap positioning of the aircraft infront. Lets say they notice the flaps dont appear in the correct position. Will they or can they call the pilot and advise?? Just wondering???

Offline atcman23

Re: General info please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
I doubt they're looking at the aircraft in front of them.  During taxi, over half of the crew's attention is spent inside the aircraft, not outside.  That's not to say they are not looking out the window, they are, but they're not looking at the aircraft in front of them.  Usually, the extension of flaps on a commercial airliner is reserved for the "takeoff" portion of the checklist and isn't done until right before takeoff.  Also, just by looking at the aircraft's flaps gives no visual clue to observers as to how much the flaps are extended (5, 10, 15 degrees, etc...).  Most large jets require some amount of flaps to be extended before takeoff as it helps provide additional lift for the aircraft to get off of the ground while using less runway.

So to answer your last question, I would have to say, unless they have everything done and have been waiting in a line for a few minutes and happen to notice an aircraft's flaps are in the up position, then maybe they may advise ATC, but again, flap extension is usually on the "takeoff" portion of the checklist and another pilot might not notice flaps being stowed (up) until that aircraft is on their takeoff roll.  If that is the case, then extending flaps would be a bad idea as it may lead to a premature takeoff.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
When commercial jets taxi for takoff and are following others, do pilots take note of flap positioning of the aircraft infront. Lets say they notice the flaps dont appear in the correct position. Will they or can they call the pilot and advise?? Just wondering???

The "correct" flap setting depends on several factors the biggest variable being the plane's takeoff weight. If two planes of the same model going to the same place were taxing out together. They would probably have different cargo and passenger loads which means even in this unlikely scenario it would be impossible for the 2nd plane's pilots to know what the "correct" flap setting of the first is supposed to be.

Offline BRAVO2ZERO

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
Thanks for the clarification guys.

Offline mikenftsmith

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
Well of coarse your looking at the aircraft your following,you don't want your nose up their apu :-),but I've heard a few times a pilot will tell atc that the aircraft they are following has a access door open or something isn't right.Don't think I've ever heard anything about flaps.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
"Looking" at the airplane (or any object for that matter) in front of you is different from "Seeing" the aircraft in front of you.  :wink: Can't see the forest for the trees...that kind of thing.

Just some food for thought...  :-D

Offline mikenftsmith

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 06:28:24 PM »
Hmmmm I guess your level of attention looking out of the cockpit is different than mine. :evil:

Offline athaker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
one thing they often notice (and speak up about) during taxi? => strobes  8-)