airtraffic

Author Topic: For anyone that has multiple feeds  (Read 6133 times)

Offline dovaka

For anyone that has multiple feeds
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
im wondering what specifically you use to split your antenna feed and what type of sound cards you use wether its just a bunch of single channel ones or a nice multi input and if so what one is it

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Re: For anyone that has multiple feeds
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
Is it possible to use a conventional cable splitter to use more then one scanner with a single antenna?

Offline dovaka

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:46 PM »
dont you get alot signal lose without a powered splitter

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:06:45 PM »
With a (conventional cable splitter) you will have about 3.5 db loss per scanner with a high amount of noise and not much port-to-port isolation !

(port-to-port isolation of the coupler)
Isolation will reduce the possibility of RF interaction between receivers caused by local oscillators, synthesizers, etc.

To makeup for the db loss with low signal to noise ratio and almost no isolation I would suggest using an active multicoupler designed to distribute antenna signals to receivers without loss and with high isolation between ports

the "conventional cable splitter" would not be the best choice

73s
Glenn KB6HLM

Offline dovaka

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:08:27 AM »
when you do this would you use cable line and adapt it at the radio or or antenna line and adapt it at the splitter
i know tv coax is mostly 75ohm but it will only be about 2 feet of it so i dont know if it will matter

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »
when you do this would you use cable line and adapt it at the radio or or antenna line and adapt it at the splitter
i know tv coax is mostly 75ohm but it will only be about 2 feet of it so i don't know if it will matter

Sorry not sure exactly what your asking here?

So I will take a guess :-)  your looking for a dirty setup?? if so the general rule of thumb would apply here if your using a 50 ohm coax then use a 50 ohm splitter in other words don't mix and match by using a lot of adapters ! however on the other hand your scanner can not tell the difference between 50 to 75 ohms but its always best to use the same ohms with the least amount of adapters as possible all the way down to your receivers

Hope this helps :-)

73s
Glenn KB6HLM Las Vegas, NV

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:53 AM »
I use this powered multicoupler http://www.cabletvamps.com/Products/Zoom/EDA-UG2402.htm I found it on ebay for $.25, but the shipping was around $20. It uses "F" connectors (cable TV connections), so you do need to get BNC to F adapters.

With this multicoupler you can connect up to 4 scanners from 1 antenna. In my case the quality of reception increased when I plugged it in. I'm very happy with it.

As for audio cards, I use the computers on board audio it came with, and bought PCI audio cards on ebay as I added feeds. Audio cards cost around $4, with shipping about the same cost. You must get different manufacturers cards, or at least cards that require different drivers. Nothing will confuse a computer more than if you use identical cards in different PCI slots with the same drivers, unless the card is designed for multiple outputs of course.

Here's a blurb on my system. http://cykf.net/Liveatc/Equip.htm

Peter
www.ykf.ca

Offline dovaka

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »
i actually read up on your page before and started hunting around for that adapter on ebay but everyone i see ends up going for alot more then .25 but i think that is the o
only real alternative
the commercial solutions i saw were all upwards of $300 and there is no way im paying that much for one