airtraffic

Author Topic: Backup Power  (Read 5944 times)

Offline FlyCMI

Backup Power
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »
I have a general question for the other feeders.  How many of you guys use any sort of backup power, like a UPS?  Seems like your feeds are always up, and that's great.  How long can you guys run without electricity and do you have any UPSs you could recommend to me?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Backup Power
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »
Quote from: FlyCMI
I have a general question for the other feeders.  How many of you guys use any sort of backup power, like a UPS?  Seems like your feeds are always up, and that's great.  How long can you guys run without electricity and do you have any UPSs you could recommend to me?

I have an APC UPS-ES 750VA and it works quite nicely.  The runtime depends on how many watts or VAs you're running.

I'm fortuntate to have a generator that kicks it 30 seconds after the power goes out, but even then, the Back-UPS is nice to have since it will protect surges caused by the spikes in voltage the generator may produce.

Jason

Offline PIT

Backup Power
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »
I have two APC's. One is for the computer and only the computer. the other is for my router, modem, and scanners. In Pittsburgh the power goes out quit often but the feed rarly with the APC's

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Backup Power
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 12:35:09 AM »
I am too cheap for a ups  8)

when the power goes out, like many other americans... I use a flashlight lol

If 20 minutes that you cant listen to atc bothers anyone, let them buy me a ups  :D