airtraffic

Author Topic: Flightaware question  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

Flightaware question
« on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
Happy wednesday everyone. I know that you can use flight aware to track commercial flights and receive email notifications when they depart and when. can that notification system also be used for GA flights? if yes, can it only be used for HFR flights or VFR as well?

Offline tyketto

Re: Flightaware question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
Happy wednesday everyone. I know that you can use flight aware to track commercial flights and receive email notifications when they depart and when. can that notification system also be used for GA flights? if yes, can it only be used for HFR flights or VFR as well?

This can to my knowledge, pending on two major things:

• the VFR flight actually filed a flight plan, and
  • the owner of the aircraft hasn't explicitly asked FA to have their flights blocked from tracking.

For example, I still have N58NG on my list of aircrafts to track (This was the Pilatus PC12NG that Amelia Earhart used to fly around the world), and not only do I still get notified of when the owner files a flight plan and the route of that plan, but also when they depart and land. However, for another aircraft that I track, I no longer am getting notified of their flight plan nor can track it because they've requested that their flights not be tracked.

BL.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
how would i set this up?

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
how would i set this up?

The simplest way is to track the flight by aircraft registration. If you know that, you can track that flight anywhere it goes as long as it files a flight plan. If they fly VFR and don't file a flight plan, you obviously won't be able to track it, but as long as they are not asking for their flights to be blocked and  they file any flight plan, you can track it by aircraft registration.

BL.