Author Topic: Flight Tracking Ques.  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Zackrampage

Flight Tracking Ques.
« on: June 12, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »
This really doesn't have anything to do with listening so please forgive me but I reakky want to know. I'm looking at a list of flights that are supposed to arrive at JFK one of them is Alaska airlines 1270. Is there a reason im not seeing this flight on JFK's current flight map? All other  flights are showing up.

Offline atcman23

Re: Flight Tracking Ques.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »
What website are you using?  There are several flight tracker web sites available.

kea001

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »
This really doesn't have anything to do with listening so please forgive me but I reakky want to know. I'm looking at a list of flights that are supposed to arrive at JFK one of them is Alaska airlines 1270. Is there a reason im not seeing this flight on JFK's current flight map? All other  flights are showing up.

Don't know where you're looking but on flightstats you can find the following:

AS 1270 - Alaska Airlines 1270
 Scheduled   On-time
Departure Status DetailsArrival Status Details
(SFO) SFO International Airport(JFK) John F. Kennedy International Airport
San Francisco, CA, USNew York, NY, US
Scheduled:    3:15 PM - Fri Jun 12, 2009Scheduled:    11:59 PM - Fri Jun 12, 2009
Estimated:    3:29 PM - Fri Jun 12, 2009 (runway)Estimated:    11:20 PM - Fri Jun 12, 2009 (runway)
http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlightExtendedDetails.do?id=162207571&airlineCode=AS&flightNumber=1270

MY NOTE: It is a codeshare flight and may not show up in tracking as Alaska Airlines 1270. It should, however show up in tracking as American Airlines 20. The last time a flight track was shown for Alaska Airlines 1270 on flightstats was sometime
end of May.

flightaware AA20 for Jun 12:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL20/history/20090612/2229Z/KSFO/KJFK
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:12:21 AM by kea001 »

Offline Zackrampage

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean? I saw American 20.. But also the Alaska flight, and soem Qantas flight were due same time and all showed the same info but only the American 20 fight was shown.

Offline Beantown

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:37 PM »
It was a codeshare flight:

Out of the Mac dictionary:

codeshare |ˈkōdˌ sh e(ə)r| noun
a marketing arrangement in which two airlines sell seats on a flight that one of them operates : [as adj.] Qantas is a codeshare partner with both American Airlines and Alaska Airlines in North America.
• a flight or aircraft in which such an arrangement is in effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean? I saw American 20.. But also the Alaska flight, and soem Qantas flight were due same time and all showed the same info but only the American 20 fight was shown.
Airlines may sell flights operated by other airlines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_share  It shows up under all flight numbers at the airport, but it is only one plane that flies and ATC only uses the flight number of the operating carrier. (In Europe ATC flight numbers can be completely different from the numbers shown to the passengers.)

Offline SkyViking

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
[(In Europe ATC flight numbers can be completely different from the numbers shown to the passengers.)
[/quote]

This also applies to European carriers operating into N. America and elsewhere.  KLM and BA use different callsigns frequently.