airtraffic

Author Topic: Flight 98....question are Americans ready???  (Read 13732 times)

flyMKEmilwaukee414

Flight 98....question are Americans ready???
« on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:29 PM »
Hi everyone Hollywood is making a movie called Flight 93 which is coming out torrorrow. They are making a movie on how the on one of the flights hit the world trade center. In flight what happened. What do you think?

Remember 9/11 :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:                 Remember 9/11

GOD BLESS THE CITYS THAT GOT HURT THAT DAY

PLEASE VOTE! :) [/quote]

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »
flight 93

its prob a good thing, so people will remember it...  :D  :D

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:10:27 PM »
please vote  8)                     have a great week ! :idea:

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:04:18 PM »
IMO I think that this move should me made just not now especially when we have not finished with the repercussions of it if I see the move it will be because there is an air plane in it and that is unlikely. I think that this move would be timed in like 5 -15 years   like Pearl Harbor or WWI/WWII I know they didn’t have the technology back then but its an example of how it was accepted

Just my thoughts on it

Greg

Offline Acey

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
Ouch, you may want to get the title changed on this one.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:24:08 PM »
Quote from: Adrian8
Ouch, you may want to get the title changed on this one.

hehe, I dont think he picked that up  :D

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:53 PM »
haha no im soo lost. o well ill take it ;)

Offline AJ Long

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 11:27:20 PM »
Flight 93 is part of an important day in American history, and in world history. It's an important part of the story of that day, about those people who sat on that plane strangers and stood up as a team, as one, and as friends, and as heroes. 9|11 was a dramatic day, and very emotional for many, but people need to get overthemselfs and stop blocking the truth, stop ignoring the events, stop forgetting the day. This day isn't to be forgotten and ignored, then because the moment we do, those people who died on 9|11, and those who have fought in their name and for their cause (the war on terrorism), they have ALL died in vein. United 93, the story needs to be seen, it needs to be understood, it needs to be talked about, and it needs to be remembered.

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »
well now your going to think im crazey  lol but i doo agree with you  i fell like im contradicting my self here but i agree with all your points its more or less the timeing that bugs me, but you do have some very good points.

greg

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »
The thing that I dont fully understand is the following. How could they possibly make this movie accurate? They had the blackbox, and the atc communications, but most of the movie from what I can see is in the passenger area.

So, how can they make a movie from what happened with the passengers, if they didnt have a real source for ex. a video camera, or a voice recorder?

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:20:53 AM »
Generally it's testimony of what was happening while all the passengers were on the phones with their family members. As for the realism of the movie, the flight attendants are flight attendants. The ATP's are ATP's. The controllers are controllers. The FAA ATCSCC (Command Center) employees are played by FAA ATCSCC employees.  They went to NATCA to gather information about Centers. So this movie should be extremely realistic. I just hope that alot of people will see this movie just so they can understand the NAS a little more, mainly the ATC part and that people won't think controllers are the "people on the ground waving sticks" as many do think that.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:34:50 AM »
Quote from: 737NGCapt
9|11 was a dramatic day, and very emotional for many, but people need to get overthemselfs and stop blocking the truth, stop ignoring the events, stop forgetting the day. This day isn't to be forgotten and ignored, then because the moment we do, those people who died on 9|11, and those who have fought in their name and for their cause (the war on terrorism), they have ALL died in vein.

People grieve in different ways.  The anger and sadness are still too raw for me to see the movie.   Letting the emotion settle a little more <> (does not equal) forgetting the day or forgetting the people who died.

BTW, vein = blood vessel, vain = Lacking substance or worth

United 93, the story needs to be seen, it needs to be understood, it needs to be talked about, and it needs to be remembered.

Maybe someday, but for me, not right now.  If you are passed the raw emotion, then you are a few years ahead of me.

Offline digger

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »
How could they possibly make this movie accurate? They had the blackbox, and the atc communications, but most of the movie from what I can see is in the passenger area.

From what I've heard, the producers went to great lengths to research the individuals portrayed--how they'd have dressed, what they'd have eaten, how they have answered different questions, and acted in different circumstances. Certainly, we'll never know exactly what transpired in the cabin, but it sounds as if they went looking for enough details about the individuals to let the screeenplay build itself around them.

If you are passed the raw emotion...

BTW, I'd have used "past".   :wink:

As far as the raw emotion, I tend to agree. As my wife said, I think I'll wait til it comes out on video, and watch it in the privacy of my living room. (Not sure we want to be in public when having to deal with those emotions.)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »
As a resident of New York City, I have seen all the events first hand. Its rough, but from what I see on a day to day basis everyone stood strong and took it well. Everyone here knows someone who was lost on 9/11.

We need to vent, holding in your emotions is not good. Flight 93 should bring it out, and I think it will be better for everyone to remember their loved ones then to forget them.

I think flight 93 is due now, its much smaller then what happened to the world trade center. If there was to be a movie made of the 2,000 people who died on in the wtc, I would be 100% against it. We are not ready for stuff that big yet, but we can take babysteps...

Offline AJ Long

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 04:22:35 PM »
Quote from: KSYR-pjr
9|11 was a dramatic day, and very emotional for many, but people need to get overthemselfs and stop blocking the truth, stop ignoring the events, stop forgetting the day. This day isn't to be forgotten and ignored, then because the moment we do, those people who died on 9|11, and those who have fought in their name and for their cause (the war on terrorism), they have ALL died in vein.

People grieve in different ways.  The anger and sadness are still too raw for me to see the movie.   Letting the emotion settle a little more <> (does not equal) forgetting the day or forgetting the people who died.

BTW, vein = blood vessel, vain = Lacking substance or worth

United 93, the story needs to be seen, it needs to be understood, it needs to be talked about, and it needs to be remembered.

Maybe someday, but for me, not right now.  If you are passed the raw emotion, then you are a few years ahead of me.

vein, vain... tomato tamato... it was to late for me to get spelling 100% correct...  :P  It got the message across tho :p

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 10:29:27 PM »
yes i think we also need to take "baby steps" on this movie. the reasearch for the movie i think would take about 4 months. with all the family they had to talk to.

Offline digger

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
One factor which I think makes a movie of the story of Flight 93 a little easier to handle is the fact that it's the story of the one place that day where the terrorists *failed* in their objective, and that failure was the result of the actions of common Americans.

On edit: We may still be grieving, but the story serves as a rallying point--something we can point to with pride, and gratitude, and hope that if we were placed in the same situation, we could do as well...

Offline Tomato

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 12:21:50 AM »
Well, I'm going to assume the movie is fair/neutral.  With that in mind I think it should be released.  It's important to be sensitive to the issue, and I think it's great that Hollywood and everybody else is, but at the same time - it's not the greatest thing if all we do is be sensitive and "politically correct" all the time.

The act of the Twin Towers in New York was tragic, but I refuse to give in to the fact that it's the biggest catastrophe nor that it should be dealt with kid gloves.  It should be handled with care for sure, but I feel that treating it as something "super special" just gives in to the desires of the terrorists.

Don't get me wrong... this still affects me, but it's time to move on.  :)

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 09:42:30 AM »
well lets try not to forgot about 9/11. I'm going to keep the poll open for about 10 days anyway

Offline hopskip

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 09:39:41 PM »
While I can see why some people might not wish to see it, I myself will be when I get the chance to. Silence on the matter can be just as, if not sometimes more damaging... letting 'myth' get in the way of fact. Whilst ceartainly there are those who will never forget that terrible day, others already are. An intelligent and longwinded exploration of accurate facts can only be a good thing, and it seems that these guys are going about this movie in the right way. I truly hope to see one of the most accurate portrayals of aviation procedures ever seen in a largescreen movie in this film as it is the only responsible way to go about this. By the sounds of it, with having ATPL's, ATCs and other aviation people working with and in the film, and (looking at it's website) an actual B757 fuselage on a motion platform, this movie will likley be the most accurate in terms of aviation procedures ever seen on big screen.

In my mind, if they didn't go this route, and made it standard hollywood aviation then it would be atrocious, We are wanting to see reality again, to understand it, to ride alongside those people involved, the passengers, the pilots, the ATC, and come to terms with at least one of the stories of 9/11. To become intimate with it, understand it. Watch as they make the transition from pre 9/11 to post 9/11. That flight took off in an innocent world where a cockpit was a throneroom of wonderous glamour, and finished with that place being a high security, fearsome place.

At the same time, I will be watching it like a hawlk, if there are any over-glamourized or Hollywood dumbing down of ATC procedures, my opinion of the movie would swing around to that of unabandoned hate toward the producers. They really have a very large responsibility here, and I really hope they don't drop the ball for the sake of making the plot easier to understand for the layman. I expect to see a real 757 cockpit operated in the real way. Level D Sim style. No dumbing down of plot devices, no wrong ATC language, or pilot checklists... of course with real ATPL's acting as the pilots this is unlikley to happen.

Effectivley I personally am only ready to see a certain type of movie in regards to this. An ultra-real representation of something approaching reality. We know we are not hearing the exact words, and some details are being made up, but they are not fantasy, if these producers do it right, we will have the actual and real quotes from the day intermixed with realistic approximations. No simplification for 'dumb audience'. Don't chastize us like that. If they do, I suspect the reaction to the movie will be a flood of heated criticism.

If they get it right, and take us on a ride on a 757 as if you were there, with no simplifications anywhere including the cockpit, then the only criticism they should hear will be the political correct nusance we are already seeing.

oh, and I know it's going to happen, but I still hope it doesn't... No scary music when the terrorists check in, or walk onboard please.  :roll:

No menacing terrorist to terrorist eye contact when the plane pushes back either. That clique has gone far enough. I really hope these guys focous on realistic procedure and make a concentrated effort to avoid cliques.

Let's not forget this is an aviation related disaster. It seems much of the world already has, on the surface. Sure we all have the "be suspicios of anyone with an interest in aviation" attitude which is destroying General aviation with many uneducated people suspicious of anyone interested in aviation topics, including this website.

I hope to see the rightfull captain and FO conduct a flawless Preflight, Departure and climbout, and then watch the terrorists manhandle that 757 and it's systems badly untill the event which ends their lives. I hope the contrast is obvious.

I also remember from a documentary that the terrorists had issues getting the autopilot disconnect alarm off, and in trying to silence the alarm ended up reconnecting the autopilot for a time. This act being made obvious. with the standard alarms (wailer for autodisconnect, altitude alarm deviation at +/-300ft MCP altitude aircraft returning to altitude/course with autopilot reconnect, inability to turn autopilot off by pressing the CMD buttons, confusion reigning for a few minutes as they try to remove the CMD mode so they can fly where they want to go, but turn the APDC alarm off)

As you can see, I have some stringent expectations for this film already. I suspect anyone else wanting to see it (or wanting to not see it) also has a high expectation level for this film.

Offline michaelt747

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 03:39:56 AM »
So i went to see this movie tonight.  Partly because of the Air Traffic Control and other aviation related scenes, but mostly because i was intrigued to see how it would be done and how they decided to portray the events.

I just want to say, it was one of the best and most tasteful films i have ever seen.  It is beautifully made and even though it is a terribly touchy subject for a lot of people, I think it is the right thing to do.  After the film had ended, I can honestly say i have never heard a theater as silent as this one.  People remained in their seats for a time and just sat, struck by the enormity of the situation.  But i think the movie put those passengers in a light that makes what they were--brave, courageous and heroic.  

The film was highly accurate and every detail had been really well researched and planned.  It was amazing to see how they integrated the real life footage with their own, and at the end credits, it was amazing to see how many characters were played by "Him or Herself"

thats just my opinion.

Overall, it's a great film that I do think people should see.  

peace, michael

flyMKEmilwaukee414

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 08:08:35 PM »
thank you all for your comments and everyone please pray for the hundreds of missing people from 9/11.