Author Topic: Fire affecting Socal Tracon?  (Read 7785 times)

Offline Amante de Aviones

Fire affecting Socal Tracon?
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »
Im curious as being theres a major fire in Socal (whats new), i have heard that all radio communication for Southern Cali is on Mt Wilson which is burning.  Is it possible that if the station burns that it could affect ATC services?

Offline glencar

Re: Fire affecting Socal Tracon?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
I don't think So Cal is that far north.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Burbank is more north than Mt. Wilson and Burbank is in Socal region

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »
SoCal is located in San Diego, I think he's referring to their antenna facilities in LA.

I have got to believe there is an alternative location/contingency plan in effect, the same way that if SoCal's facilities go down, the workload is automatically shifted to another facility.

LA Center in Palmdale has had a few temporary outages that made the news and they always went off (relatively) without a hitch.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
SoCal is located in San Diego, I think he's referring to their antenna facilities in LA.

I have got to believe there is an alternative location/contingency plan in effect, the same way that if SoCal's facilities go down, the workload is automatically shifted to another facility.

LA Center in Palmdale has had a few temporary outages that made the news and they always went off (relatively) without a hitch.

There always is. :)

About 4 years ago, there was a wildfire out in the Palmdale area, which ended up resulting in ZLA being evacuated. In cases like this, there are LOAs in place between ZOA, ZAB, and ZLC for each of them to extend their airspace boundaries to cover ZLA in case anything goes wrong. In this case, SCT was fine in Miramar, and they handed off to the appropriate ZOA or ZAB sector that was covering the area in question.

In L30's case, they handed off to either ZOA, ZAB, or ZLC depending on which way they were going.

It's easier also if something were to happen to SCT (as what did with the fire that was down there). Actually, now it's even easier than that. In the case they need to evacuate, they can just close down SCT and let ZLA handle the entire sector (that has happened before with the fires in Mira Mesa). Or, now that they've incorporated PSP into SCT, they still have the equipment over at the old PSP TRACON building. They can run over to there and operate their entire sectors from there.

A bigger problem, however, is a repeat of what happened with the last major fire down there (which resulted in the loss of the FIM VOR, which is essential to just about every arrival into the Basin), with the LHS VOR. GMN should be okay, but Lake Hughes is rather essential to the prop arrivals from the north and east into the basin (read: KIMMO2 arrivals into LAX and SMO). Loss of that one will add a bit more work onto the controllers at SCT.

BL.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Gracias por el informacion :lol:

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
As of this AM, Lake Hughs is down. 

Offline tyketto

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
As of this AM, Lake Hughs is down.  

Have a reference to cite for this one?

I'm not doubting you, but just looking for more info on it, and there is no NOTAM for it that I've seen at DINS yet.

BL.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
I live near Burbank airport and I can receive some of the So Cal Approach freq's. When I was listening the other day I heard a plain tell the controller, "Please take note that lake Hughes is down" Then the controller tells the pilot "Please let LA center know about this"
That's all I have.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:23:04 AM »
I live near Burbank airport and I can receive some of the So Cal Approach freq's. When I was listening the other day I heard a plain tell the controller, "Please take note that lake Hughes is down" Then the controller tells the pilot "Please let LA center know about this"
That's all I have.

Fair enough. There just hasn't been anything going around about it outside the TFR for the fire. From mapping it out, it looks like LHS is in it, but if the fires got to it and it is OTS, a NOTAM for it hasn't been posted.

BL.