Author Topic: feed tips for KLAX  (Read 32771 times)

Offline bluecrewfan08

feed tips for KLAX
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
Looking for input on what people are looking for in a KLAX feed?  which freq?  I have noticed that even living very close to the tower( less then 2 miles), each freq has unique differences and limitations.

So far, ground seems to be tough, tough to make out the tower, but clear as day from the aircraft. I don't get that.
 I am 1 mile north/east of 24 R, yet  everything is much clear on approaches to the 25's.  Curious.

If there are any LAX locals, I am in the Osage area. Any suggestions?

Rob

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
Re: feed tips for KLAX
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »
Firstly, we will be happy with any LAX feed, you can pick frequencies for any reason you like.

An airport like LAX can generate several good streams; ideally there would be a handful of scanners, each doing their set of frequencies, see the Boston and New York sets of feeds. With less scanners you can pack the scanners, trying to get all (will result in the listener hearing a lot of snippets of conversations on different frequencies) or pick a small set of frequencies per scanner where it is easier to follow a plane in. "Tower", "Ground" and "Approach/Departure" are common selections, each with their share of fans. Two or three active frequencies per stream maximum.

I don't know how the airspace at LAX is organised, but it could be interesting to have a "Tower+Approach+Departure" feed for the North runways and a separate similar feed for the South complex.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:26:47 AM »
Bluecrew, do you have your antenna mounted outside of your house or are you using an indoor antenna?

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
Bluecrew, do you have your antenna mounted outside of your house or are you using an indoor antenna?

Outside, on top of garage. I'd say about 15' up.

Offline VTBDflyer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
I would love to hear the ground frequencies, if your close enough. But I do enjoy listening to the tower and app/dep freqs. I would love to have them either way, just to have a LAX feed.

Alex

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:09:56 PM »
Outside, on top of garage. I'd say about 15' up.

What kind of antenna is it:  J-pole, discone, or some other?  Also, how good is the quality of the coax cable connecting the antenna to the scanner?

I don't pretend to be a radio frequency expert (although being a feeder here has provided a bit of education) but on the surface it seems to me that you should be able to pick up the ground aircraft very well being that close to the airport.  My feed is 9 miles from the airport across some rolling hills but I am able to pick up the larger jet aircraft on the ground quite well.   Given that LAX is a huge airport it is possible that even though you are two miles from the airport fence it is conceivable that you are really 6 miles from the terminal or so... but still.

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
Im using a jpole and  15' of RG-58 cable. I was reading about  installign a choke at the antenna, going to try that later today after it cools off.

I drove today from my house to In N Out at the foot of 24R, and even with a zig zag route by car, it was only 1.4 miles.

If I stand at the very peak of the roof of my house, I can just make out the top of the tower.

Rob

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
Just temporarily raised the top the antenna 5' higher. Now should be exactly in line of sight of the tower.
Interestingly enough, it made a huge improvement to the SOUTH complex . And only a little improvement to the north complex. Weird. :?

I'm going up again with pen and pad, will take down some notes. Going to scan through all the availables from here.

I'll report back with the results  :-D

Rob

Offline tyketto

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
Firstly, we will be happy with any LAX feed, you can pick frequencies for any reason you like.

An airport like LAX can generate several good streams; ideally there would be a handful of scanners, each doing their set of frequencies, see the Boston and New York sets of feeds. With less scanners you can pack the scanners, trying to get all (will result in the listener hearing a lot of snippets of conversations on different frequencies) or pick a small set of frequencies per scanner where it is easier to follow a plane in. "Tower", "Ground" and "Approach/Departure" are common selections, each with their share of fans. Two or three active frequencies per stream maximum.

I don't know how the airspace at LAX is organised, but it could be interesting to have a "Tower+Approach+Departure" feed for the North runways and a separate similar feed for the South complex.

That would be really cool, especially since the repeaters for 128.5 and 124.9 are around that area as well. Depending on how much can be dedicated to the feed, hearing Clearance Delivery would be really good, albeit slow (there's one controller there that reads clearances very slow so those international can understand them). That, or even Ground, either .65 or .75. According to their ATIS late at night, they combine on .75, so if that's doable...

BL.

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
Depending on your equipment of course (you will need two receivers), you may want to split the South and North Complex on the left and right speakers similar to my KOAK feed. This way the listener has the option to listen to either the North or South Complex by simply sliding the speaker balance control. In the meantime, just get a signal up and have Dave evaluate it. Thanks for taking on the KLAX challenge! :-)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:01:33 PM by Squawk 7700 »

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
an update.....

Was crazy busy this past week, with 3 days of travel, so not much headway.
I am however picking up a used laptop from my brother in law this afternoon, a great deal, as in free.

I talked to a comm. friend of mine,  who had some 9913 in his shop, and he promised to make me up a 30' piece with the right connectors.

So I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks to get the software for the feed, see how it goes,and give it a shot.

Hang in there guys.

Rob

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the information. Keep us updated. What is "9913" and have you decided which frequencies you're putting on the feed? If you need advise, I can help. Good Job!

Chananya

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the information. Keep us updated. What is "9913" and have you decided which frequencies you're putting on the feed? If you need advise, I can help. Good Job!

Chananya

Belden 9913 is low loss coaxial cable.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
Heyl Bob! I suggest using 133.9 tower north, 120.95 tower south. If anyone has access to an extra feed I would recommend 124.9 final approach south, and 128.5 final approach north.

Bob, how did you reach me through email and how do I reach you back or initiate a personal message. Thanks. Good luck with the feed.

Apologies to those who don't want this forum to be used for personal messages; I had a need.

Chananya

Offline cactushp

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
You also have to keep in mind, that the actual transmitting location is not on top of the control tower. They broadcast from a transmitter tower somewhere on the field. Does anyone know where the LAX one is?

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
Now that is interesting....

Offline athaker

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 12:09:19 AM »
I think it's somewhere on the south side, west of the imperial terminal.  there's definitely a radar spinning over there...

what I don't get, however, is that if transmissions come from the same location, why was the north tower so much clearer than the south tower frequencies on the old KLAX feed...that's one thing I could never figure out.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
You also have to keep in mind, that the actual transmitting location is not on top of the control tower. They broadcast from a transmitter tower somewhere on the field. Does anyone know where the LAX one is?

CA, I think LAX does actually have the Primary transmitters on the cab since the ASDE equipment is not on the cab and based on the North and South Complexes at Westchester Pkwy and Imperial Hwy

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
What is the " Cab "  ?

Rob

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
What is the " Cab "  ?

Rob

To save some words...the photo to my left.

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »
update.....  6/1/08

Made a few adjustments and almost every local freq. is coming in CRYSTAL clear!

Now, figuring out how to let you guys here it is something else.  :?

Hopefully Dave will have the time to give me the hook up, and lets get this party started.

Having trouble running the reception through my computer,  ( as in nothing comes through), but perfect from the scanner.

Hopefully we will get this cleared up soon.

Hang in there.

Rob
Westchester, Ca

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 07:13:59 AM »
I'll get back to you later today Rob.

Offline nicksair

• http://www.sdcommute.com
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:15 PM »
Rob, i have an extra unused scanner that could be used for the feed. Please contact me thru a PM. I come up to LAX/Westchester all the time.

Offline nateoppenheim

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
I want every frequency from KLAX.  I also want LiveATC to add KONT in every frequency.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 05:03:23 PM »
I want every frequency from KLAX.  I also want LiveATC to add KONT in every frequency.

Wanting and getting are two different animals. Remember the foundation of LiveATC.net - Volunteers.