Author Topic: Feed Order for DFW  (Read 10662 times)

Offline kyleinprogress

• KyleInProgress.com
Feed Order for DFW
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
Given all the different feeds available for KDFW, what would be the "appropriate" order to listen on to follow a plane from push back through take-off?

I understand it depends on which terminal the plane is at (A/C/E - East, B/D - West), but I'm guessing I would just start listening on ground and then switch to tower and then regional departure?

TIA!

Offline AeroBill

Re: Feed Order for DFW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Kyle,
That would be probably best. What you may want to do also, is find out where a particular flight is
heading to. Use FlightAware or similar site for that information. DFW feed has the Delivery channel,
combined with East Ground, but you often miss hearing it due to all the ground radio traffic. Thus
use the FlightAware site to see whether a flight is heading generally East or West, and choose accordingly.
Here's a couple of other observations on DFW Ground/Departure channels. Ground, from the little
I have listed to it, does not tell the aircraft when to switch to Tower Frequency. I assume there is
some procedure that when the aircraft gets to a certain point, it calls Tower. I would switch to
Tower Channel when you hear Ground tell the aircraft to taxi to the runway and/or hold short of it.
The second thing I noticed is that you don't hear on the Delivery channel what the departure
frequency will be, just the name of departure route to be flown. Seems to tied into the type of
departure to be flown. Here again, FlightAware will have the departure charts and frequency used.
It will be a challenge to follow the flight from pushback to departure, but with patience and a little
guess work you can do it. Am sure somebody else in the Forum can provide more on DFW operations.