Author Topic: FAO Missoula/KMSO feeder  (Read 6447 times)

Offline JetScan1

FAO Missoula/KMSO feeder
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:16:33 AM »
Any chance the person who operates the Missoula/KMSO feed monitors the forum ?

The Airport/Facility Directory shows a Salt Lake Center RCAG frequency 119.750 located at Missoula. If this is a current frequency I was wondering if we could get it added to the scanner ? If it actually is in range this would give us controller reception of the high altitude airspace (ZLC Sector 20) overhead Missoula. The radio is not very busy so I don't think adding this frequency would cause too much congestion, plus it seems a lot of the time its merged with the lower sector anyway, and I see you already have the adjacent high sector (ZLC Sector 06/132.400) in there already. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the feed, nice clear reception ! DJ

Offline LAPTOP GAMER

Re: FAO Missoula/KMSO feeder
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:38:42 AM »
The problem might be he lives in Missoula and it is surrounded by high mountains wich would mean Salt Lake center might not be possable.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:55 AM »
The problem might be he lives in Missoula and it is surrounded by high mountains wich would mean Salt Lake center might not be possable.

Like I said, according to the Airport/Facility Directory the Salt Lake Center RCAG (remote transmitter) on 119.750 is located in Missoula, if this is actually correct then reception of the controller should be possible. The Salt Lake Center low sector (ZLC 19) covers the same area (up to FL290) and you can hear the controller on that frequency 133.400 loud and clear.

Aircraft reception will be blocked by the mountains to some extent but you should be able to hear the aircraft in the vicinity of Missoula in the western half of the sector, like you can on the low frequency 133.400. The adjacent high altitude sector to the south (ZLC 06) on 132.400 is in the scanner and you can hear aircraft in the western part of that sector (the eastern half is blocked out by the mountains). It just seems to me that if you are going to put the adjacent sector to the south in there, why not also put in the sector that is directly overhead, especially if you can hear the controller ? Unless there is interference issues with that frequency, etc. ?

Normally I'm not a fan of loading up the radios with more frequencies (like some radios here that have way too many and are very difficult to listen to), but in this Missoula case the traffic is very light and the addition of the high altitude airspace, that covers the same area as the low sector that is being scanned, should work nicely. Again, just a suggestion. DJ

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:48:19 AM by JetScan1 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:51:52 AM »
There is definitely an RCAG there.  133.4 is listed for a low altitude sector but that information is likely dated.
I'll have the feeder check 133.4 and 119.75 to see which is active.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
I'll have the feeder check 133.4 and 119.75 to see which is active.

On the feed you can hear the controller loud and clear on 133.400 now, if he can add 119.750 that would be great. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
Feeder notified.