Author Topic: EINN. SHANNON H/L  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Airuser

EINN. SHANNON H/L
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:29:44 AM »
Have noticed that EINN/ Shannon is no longer showing.  Is this temporary or permanent?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: EINN. SHANNON H/L
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:04 AM »
Temporary for now until we find a new location for that receiver.

Offline Airuser

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
Thanks.  Looking forward to its return

Offline Cpt-Maersk

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 06:16:14 AM »
Yes me too hoping that a new feeder is found to supply the Shannon High Level.  I would have this on (listening) for most of the day as well as using my receiver to listen to the Shanwick Oceanic NAT Tracks.

I was only last week I was going to buy the LiveATC App for my phone but so glad I didn't then as now Shannon High Level has gone and that is the only station I listen too.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
The feed up now for Tower/App has one Center frequency you can hear the controller and traffic for one sector. Hoping a new location can be found I also enjoy hearing the oceanic traffic!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »
I've just activated a couple of new Shannon Control High feeds:

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=einn

There is one more receiver that can be dedicated to splitting the Shannon High frequencies up.

Is there a current list of active frequencies and does anyone have a good idea how to split them up? Three total receivers to dedicate to this.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
I've just activated a couple of new Shannon Control High feeds:

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=einn

There is one more receiver that can be dedicated to splitting the Shannon High frequencies up.

Is there a current list of active frequencies and does anyone have a good idea how to split them up? Three total receivers to dedicate to this.

Thanks,
Dave

I pm'ed you a chart that i hope helps thank you for bringing this back!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
Map received...thanks...will use that as guidance for now. There should be a third feed later.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »
Is there a current list of active frequencies and does anyone have a good idea how to split them up?

If it was me the first priority would be to keep the low sectors split from the high sectors, then the other two radios with high frequencies split between what frequencies you can hear the controller's on, then the adjacent sectors based on location (east vs west).

Radio 1 - Low Altitude
119.080 (controller), (it's also cross-coupled with all other low sector frequencies)

Radio 2 - High Altitude (east)
132.150 (controller)

Radio 3 - High Altitude (west, coastal)
131.150 (controller)
125.875 (might be called channel 125.880 now?)

Thanks for the new feeds !

JS

Edit - removed attached chart due errors and out of date
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:43:08 AM by JetScan1 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
Thanks JS!

Now configured per your suggestion. Let's see how it goes.

Let me know about any suggested tweaks.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
Let me know about any suggested tweaks.

Thanks for doing that. You indicate you have both 131.150 and 132.150 on the "EINN Shannon Control High (East)" feed. Not sure if this is actually the case yet, but if it is, any chance you could remove 131.150 from the east feed as its covered on the other west/coastal feed. Otherwise it will be harder to determine what sectors each controller is working and avoid overlap. I'll let you know what I think after listening during the busier times tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:36:24 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline Cpt-Maersk

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
Are there now 2 (or more) feeders for the Shannon Control High (East)?

I ask this because I can hear two separate transmissions within say 10 seconds of each other, the first transmission the operator is loud and clear but there is either a dead signal back from the aircraft or just white noise - so you can't hear the aircraft reply at all.

The second transmission sounds as if the feeder lives way too far to be able to receiver a clear signal/audio and the transmission of the operator and the aircraft is almost inaudible.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
After listening this morning it sounded like (?) they had 131.150 and 132.150 combined most of the time so you would often hear the same transmissions on both high feeds (not ideal). I guess with the reduced amount of traffic they don't need to split the sectors east/west like they used to. At the peak eastbound rush it sounded like they had the airspace split up into 3 sectors north-south. You would hear some of the northern traffic on the East feed and some southern traffic on the West feed and the Central traffic on both feeds.

If they keep running it like this it might be better to combine 132.15 and 131.15 on one radio then have the northern and southern frequencies on the number 2 ? It's hard to tell though without knowing what other frequencies you are hearing the controllers on ? I wouldn't change the feed setup yet but maybe re-label them as the "East" and "West" is a bit confusing when they aren't being split that way with this reduced amount of traffic.

The controller reception sounds good but I notice the beginning of some transmissions are being clipped. Sounds kinda like a slow scanner ? Or is it some sort of SDR glitch ? Nice to have the low altitude frequencies on their own dedicated radio.

Thanks again for the setup.

Offline Cpt-Maersk

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
@JetScan1

Can you tell me how the new feed for Shannon High is setup.

There are now 2 available feeds which both broadcast the Shannon High Level Oceanic Clearance - however, the audio is duplicated on both feeds Shannon Control High (East) and Shannon Control High (West/Coastal).

You can hear the aircraft talking back to Shannon for Oceanic clearance on the High (East) but the audio is very poor yet you'll then hear the aircraft on Shannon High (West/Costal) very clear but you won't hear Shannon Control.

I've been listening since both feeds have been newly located - but you have to have both Shannon Control High (East) and Shannon Control High (West/Coastal) playing in order to hear both sides.  Plus you then have the audio from High (West/Coastal) mixed with High (East).

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »
Cpt-Maersk,

Can you tell me how the new feed for Shannon High is setup.

Yeah I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm not associated with LiveATC or the feed itself so I have no inside knowledge. The last note I had from Dave was the frequencies as listed are correct.

you have to have both Shannon Control High (East) and Shannon Control High (West/Coastal) playing in order to hear both sides. Plus you then have the audio from High (West/Coastal) mixed with High (East).

It would be helpful to know what frequencies the controllers are being heard on. My understanding is that it's 131.150 and 132.150 but there also appears to be a few others as well ? I've been looking for years for an official list of transmitter sites in Ireland but no luck. If anyone has this info and can post it here that would be appreciated. It would be easy to figure out by listening to each frequency individually for awhile but I don't know how practical that is on the LiveATC side ? Dave is there any chance we can try a few different combinations in an effort to sort it out ?

From what I've heard so far, at certain times, the northern sectors can be heard on #1 East (probably through 134.260) and the southern sectors on #2 West (I'm not sure what frequency, maybe 131.150). In the central area the controllers are being heard on both feeds and I'm not sure what frequency this would be on the #2 ? Once that's determined and grouped with 135.230 it would avoid a lot of the overlap I think ?

Keep in mind that Shannon will change the sector configuration depending on traffic flow and volume so what might work well one day might not work the next. The trick will be coming up with an optimal setup that works best most of the time.

JS

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
The transmitter situation appears to be dynamic and varies also by time of day. There is no perfect setup and I don't have the complete list of transmitters. I can verify which transmitters I can hear but with the long list of frequencies it's a time-consuming exercise.

For now there are three receivers and each of them is operating in scanning mode. That is all we have for the time being. We may be able to add more receivers in time but then the frequencies will get even more fragmented and that will generate complaints, too.  :-). There is no way to make everyone happy.

In the interim, please analyze the current feeds and make a suggestion for change and I will be happy to reconfigure. I will try to get more detailed but if anyone else has any inside knowledge please jump in.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
Thanks Dave, no worries. I think it sounds pretty good now, it might just take one frequency tweak to improve it, I'll keep listening and try and figure it out. Cheers. 

Offline Shamrock147Heavy

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »
@dave Hi, none of the feeds are working as of the past week or two. Just not getting any transmissions at peak Westbound Flow.
Thanks!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »
The antenna got completely destroyed in a bad storm a week or so ago. We sent a new antenna to Shannon (at great expense) and expect it to arrive today. It may take a few days to get it installed. Once installed, reception should be back.

Offline Shamrock147Heavy

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
Thank you so much for the speedy response.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
The new antenna was just installed so all is well again.

Offline Shamrock147Heavy

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 08:12:32 AM »
Quality on the feed has been really poor since it started back. Can't even hear ATC well at all.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
We'll have to look at the antenna and coax cable again - thanks for the report. Must be something wrong.