airtraffic

Author Topic: Dubuque Feed.  (Read 11087 times)

Offline united777lover

Dubuque Feed.
« on: November 28, 2004, 06:01:20 PM »
I was just accepted to the University of Dubuque, Iowa. Obviously majoring in Aviation flight and will start with IFR training there..

ANYHOW. I noticed DBQ was listed, but not on... If that person who runs that feed will not be doing that next year..

I was wondering what I would need to do both cost and equipment to run that feed..

I have my doubts about it as this will be a school Eithernet(SP) and ya know how slow those things are...

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
Dubuque Feed.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:23:38 AM »
Dave makes it nice and simple to get a feed up.

From the front page
:arrow: Feeder Sites

If you are within 20 miles of an airport and have a police scanner or any airband-capable scanning receiver, please consider becoming a feeder site.

Besides the scanner, you need:
- an always-on Internet connection (feed uses only 16kbps)
- an external antenna (preferred for optimum reception)
- audio cable to connect scanner to PC's sound card
- a PC running Windows or Linux
- open source software (free) I provide and help you set up

Only thing I had to buy was a male to male audio cable from Radioshack, and plug it into line-in or speaker of your soundcard. Of course you need a scanner that will recieve VHF airband (relatively inexpensive now). You could probably even get away with using a handheld if you're really closeby.

Offline united777lover

Dubuque Feed.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 09:15:25 PM »
just thinking it over. I would be more than happy to do this feed in the fall.. However, college and a laptop that I'll use for class.. will be quite difficult..