airtraffic

Author Topic: DFW Listener Poll [Was: DFW East Downtime Expected.]  (Read 17922 times)

Offline Sirclown82

DFW Listener Poll [Was: DFW East Downtime Expected.]
« on: July 14, 2005, 10:50:16 PM »
I'm about to get a computer that will handle nothing but LiveATC feeds. Probably sometime between Fri. and Sunday. Cant hardly wait.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: DFW East Downtime Expected.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »
Quote from: sirclown82
I'm about to get a computer that will handle nothing but LiveATC feeds. Probably sometime between Fri. and Sunday. Cant hardly wait.

Excellent!

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:27:27 PM »
When you say "feeds," do you mean you have additional scanners and equipment to run another feed or two?  If so, what do you have in mind?  DFW approach or Fort Worth Center?

Matt

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:29:12 PM »
i only have one now, but i am going to find out a good FT. worth center feed i hope. That one may just be an on and off feed in the future.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »
i have scanners and other radios all over the place too. I would like to put them to work doing something productive.  :D

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:15:27 AM »
I just looked around a bit, I can't find any transmitters even in the area of DFW. Kind of wierd for a big metro area. I would love to have another "strictly" Tracon feed, Approach is much more pleasing to listen to for me than Center  :D

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:21:33 AM »
Sounds good to me. Ft. Worth center seems to be hard to catch because they talk so quick. App it is, when the time is right after i get this new computer up and running.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:37:50 AM »
I'd love if you could give ZFW a try...even if you could just get aircraft on a few freqs...just for a day or two to see how it is.  I personally love hearing Center...like TRACON too but love hearing center's from all over the country.  Whatever you want to go with in the end is your choice, but I'd love to just hear how ZFW sounds for a bit.  

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:44:14 AM »
I can broadcast anything, im only about 1-2 miles from KDFW. I have put out a survey for 10 days. After 10 Days, the winner will be what is broadcast at a later time.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 07:42:37 AM »
BTW, The TRACON is Approach and Departure. (Terminal Radar Approach Control)

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 09:26:37 AM »
I was so tired when i posted this last night. Deep in my head i think i may have known that.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 09:36:29 AM »
I believe the TRACON would be a great feed!  It really gives people a great perspective of the entire airspace.  Although ARTCC's are nice to listen to (I have a feed mostly dedicated to ZBW), most of the time you cannot cover ALL the frequencies; simply because you cannot recieve them and/or it's basically overkill.  Too many frequencies on a feed gets myself and listeners very confused.  When you have the freq's confined to TRACON freq's, you know which freq's are which and the airspace setup and/or runway configuration and both arrival and departure procedures.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:13:23 AM »
When I suggested Fort Worth Center, I mentioned just trying it a couple days.  I was expecting you'd go to a TRACON format after that, as I believe it'd be more interesting than just hearing aircraft on ZFW, as it sounds like would be the case if you're not near any transmitters.  I don't believe it would really be confusing if you just have a couple freqs on there.  

Plus, I'm not sure using all the freqs for the area TRACON would be beneficial...maybe just the ones for DFW approach and departure.  It was mentioned that having too many Center frequencies can be confusing, but you don't normally put more than a few center  freqs on a feed anyway, so it normally doesn't get confusing.  In an area like the DFW area, you'll have numerous freqs, and putting them all on a feed would be just as confusing as putting on more than a few center freqs.  

So in short, I wasn't asking for a ZFW feed instead of TRACON, just to give it a try for a day or too so people can get an idea of what ZFW does down in that area.  I wasn't looking to get a discussion started on which feed should be started as I realize TRACON would be more interesting....just suggesting ZFW for a couple days.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 12:58:49 PM »
In light of the early results of the poll, i have found a very active TRACON freq. DFW TRACON West Approach. Still Looking for more though.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 12:42:27 AM »
She goin' down and moving to a new computer. Friday night at about midnight.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 10:36:22 AM »
Finally back up and running. Anybody let me know if i need to adjust the volumes or anything.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »
How Bout American Airlines Operations Tower at DFW?

Offline jjbiv

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 12:17:57 AM »
AA ops would be fun to listen to!

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 01:04:52 AM »
Hey that what im talking about. I was scanning a couple of weeks ago and found the AA ops tower/dispatch/ramp control/mtx control and so on and so on. I'm having a hard time finding any up-to-date Tracon and tower freqs where there is actually activity that you can hear let alone receive.

Offline IndyTower

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 12:16:13 PM »
I have looked on google but I was never able to find something like these. I have only been able to find the DFW area as in the entire N. Texas area which is HUGE.  THanks for the help.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 12:23:18 PM »
Quote from: sirclown82
I have looked on google but I was never able to find something like these. I have only been able to find the DFW area as in the entire N. Texas area which is HUGE.  THanks for the help.

An AF/D from a pilot shop will do the trick.  They usually have fairly good frequencies for each sector used.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/charts/afd.cfm

AFD-SC is what you will want.

Note: Most info from AirNav comes from the AF/D  On the top of each airport page there you will usually see: "FAA INFORMATION EFFECTIVE 07 JULY 2005" This is usually the last publication of the AF/D and the info is directly taken from there.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 03:15:37 PM »
DFW TRACON it is.