Author Topic: delete speeds ??  (Read 20776 times)

Offline vdavistx

delete speeds ??
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
Non-pilot - I just like to listen.  What does it mean when they say "delete speeds except for ?  (something that starts with a D)" ?

Offline Rick108

Re: delete speeds ??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
Non-pilot - I just like to listen.  What does it mean when they say "delete speeds except for ?  (something that starts with a D)" ?
Can you give a reference to an exact time in a particular archive file, or maybe post a small snippet of the phrase you are asking about?

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

It means to that there is a restriction on a given procedure to cross a certain fix/waypoint at a given speed. The call to "delete speed restriction at xxx " or "cancel speed restriction at xxx" means to disregard the speed restriction at that particular fix.

A good example would be to look at either the SUNST3, KEPEC3, or TYSSN3 arrivals into KLAS. They have both crossing and speed restrictions listed for given fixes. ATC could tell the pilot to delete the speed restrictions at any point there, should they need to.

BL.

Offline vdavistx

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
I'm listening to KDFW and they are again saying 'delete speeds except for deets'  except I don't know what they mean so I'm probably misunderstanding the word I'm calling 'deets'.  That's just what it sounds like to me.  The controller says it and the pilot repeats it and it still sounds like deleting speeds except for deets.   

Offline JayH

Re: Re: delete speeds ??
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »
Looks like it's actually spelled DIETZ. You'll find it about 11nm SE of the airport on the IFR Low charts. I also found it on the Cedar Creek Seven Arrival and it showed the speed at DIETZ should be 210 knots.

Offline falstro

• excu.se
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
Is 'delete' standard phraseology though? Wouldn't 'disregard' be more appropriate? I think I've heard 'disregard speed restrictions' a couple of times, but that was perhaps different circumstances?

Offline bbrasmussen

• Aviation Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
"Delete the speeds" is standard and different than "resume normal speed." The first deletes all the speeds on an arrival or departure procedure. The second cancels a previously issued ATC speed restriction, but does not give relief on any future speed restrictions on a procedure.  In this case the pilot would have to comply with any upcoming speed restrictions.

I hear some controllers who imply that "resume normal speed" deletes speed restrictions, but that is technically not correct.

Offline vdavistx

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Thank you for the explanations.  Helps me alot!