airtraffic

Author Topic: CZYZ feed  (Read 38666 times)

Offline Scrapper

Re: CZYZ feed
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 04:49:37 PM »
buzz, what appears to be happening is on the CZYZ feed, not on the CYYZ feed... although you only have those freqs listed above programmed, we're still hearing clearances for takeoffs and landings on the CZYZ feed... so either your scanner is picking up extra freqs on its own (scanner might automatically be scanning ALL airline freqs, some scanners do this as well, and I don't remember how to turn it off...). I haven't double checked jetscan's freq list above to ensure that some tower or ground freq didn't accidentally slip in there! (but I don't think that's it...) any chance it's still getting toronto city centre tower freqs? (although I don't remember if they have a runway 23, I'll have to check the airports in the area and see if anyone else has a runway 23 other than pearson...
Gotta go for now... talk to you guys in a bit

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »
ok, listening right now at 2156Z on the 29th and again, hearing a landing clearance this time for runway 6R so this I believe has to be pearson's tower we're overhearing on the CZYZ feed... if that's the case, start by investigating if you have the following two freqs appearing on your scanner (118.7,118.35). They are the two freqs for Pearson Tower North and South (6R would probably be on South but I can't remember which freq is which...) you have those two freqs on CYYZ, but I suspect that you either have them accidentally on CZYZ as well or you're getting some kind of splashover like one of the previous posters mentionned...

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »
I'll second that observation that there is either bleedover/or more frequencies on the feed that are making it difficult to listen to. Listened last night(12-28) and it is annoying a bit to enjoy. Definetly YYZ APP is being picked up on the site.

Offline Tom56

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »
I don't know how it's doing it, grrrrrrrrr! I'll have to find some kind of filter for splitting the antenna to the feeds.

Offline poj

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »
Suggestion for troubleshooting: This may take a bit of time, but watching where the display stops when the audio comes out would be the best place to start (or use a video camera and let someone else tell you what minute to review!) Then listen to that frequency on another radio to see if in fact Tower is simulcasting certain communications on multiple frequencies.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:56:42 PM by poj »

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »
Your camera or watching the display idea is a great place to troubleshoot this problem, but I don't agree that tower would be simulcasting... not on centre freqs anyway... ground facilities sometimes simulcast on more than one freq but not usually tower... they'll sometimes simulcast on ground and clearance delivery at the same time if it's not busy, etc. but tower is usually on its own (for obvious reasons.) On a side note, sometimes terminal control units do this as well, but again, only when not busy (for example, you might have the same person sitting in for two positions (TCU and VFR for example, and in that case will simulcast on both freqs... also on a similar note, usually ATC will also simulcast on UHF freqs, but I believe we talked about this on another string of conversations...)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 02:23:50 PM »
Could another possibility be the fact that both scanners are plugged into the same machine with two sound cards and the streaming software is streaming the audio from both cards?

Offline Tom56

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 07:28:35 PM »
Could another possibility be the fact that both scanners are plugged into the same machine with two sound cards and the streaming software is streaming the audio from both cards?
No. They are on different  machines. The only thing they share is the antenna.

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 04:39:33 PM »
Hey, if it helps your troubleshooting, I'm listening to Toronto Centre (CZYZ) right now and it occured to me that occasionally I hear two different transmission on two different frequencies at the same time... this should theoretically be impossible... could the antenna be picking up more than one frequency at once? I didn't think this was possible...

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 10:37:12 PM »
Buzz.. If it helps, I have a spare Bearcat just laying around here if you would like to use it.

Send me a PM and I can drop it off.

Offline sierra yankee

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
I haven't listened to the feed in awhile, but keep in mind that not all the freqs you're scanning (or thinking about scanning, judging by the lists above) are based at YYZ, so in some/many cases you may hear only the pilots, or possibly nothing at all.  For instance:

132.57 (Wiarton sector) is based at Wiarton
124.02 (also Wiarton sector -- these two are coupled so you'll hear exactly the same stuff as on 132.57) is based at Midland
124.37 (Mitchell sector) is also based at Wiarton
121.22 (Killaloe sector) is based at North Bay

While I'd love to hear somebody manage to scan Wiarton successfully (you can listen to me work), I doubt it would be possible unless you could find somebody who lived out on the Bruce Peninsula, or in Midland area.  (While you're at it, see if you can find someone in Sault Ste. Marie to scan Sault High, Ranger, and Sault Tower ..)

If you have questions about sectors, frequencies, and bases, I should be able to provide answers.  Unfortunately, no (because I'm sure somebody would ask), I can't set up a streaming feed from within the ACC itself due to all kinds of issues with security, appropriate use of work computers, etc..  And I live too far from the ACC to be of any use as a feeder, though I'd certainly consider making a contribution to help out with equipment purchases to split the feed further.

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 08:28:12 AM »
SY

Oakville sector runs FL310 to FL360, and Lucan goes FL370 and above. I have Lucan as 134.92 and assume sometimes combines with Oakville.

When not combined what are the primary frequencies and what are any of the back-up frequencies for both those Hi Sectors.

Thanks, and good luck with the training

Lexx
www.ykf.ca

Offline canuck101

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
Out of curiousty, is anything from the YYZ Terminal Satellites being picked up? YTZ?
I fly around here all the time and use LiveATC for training and "evaluation"

Sorry if it doesn't live up to the expectations of you big-tin lovers

Offline Lexxx

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 11:51:17 AM »
Duke

Toronto Satellite can be heard by selecting "Toronto Centre" from this site, click www.ykf.ca, but no YTZ I'm afraid. Just YKF

Offline sierra yankee

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
The Oakville primary freq is 134.92 and this is what they use when Oakville/Lucan are combined, which is about 99% of the time.  Lucan only opens as a stand-alone sector during the summer, when the traffic is really crazy.  Even then they sometimes opt to have them stay combined and add a coordinator position to Oakville rather than split Lucan off.  It depends on what the staffing situation is like and where the traffic is, altitude-wise.  It's not much help to split off 370+ if almost all the traffic is staying below mid-30s due to chop, which sometimes happens.

When they do open Lucan as a stand-alone the frequency is 135.82.  I believe this is based in London, unlike the other two (134.92 and 125.77, Centralia's freq, are based in Toronto as far as I know), just FYI for scanning purposes.

To my knowledge there are no VHF backup freqs for these three sectors, but since it's so rare to have all three open 135.82 is effectively a backup in case 134.92 or 125.77 goes down.  Mitchell's backup frequency is 119.77 and I've seen that used a few times when there has been maintenance going on at the primary transmitter (124.37 at Wiarton).

Hope this helps.

Offline Lexxx

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
It does.

Thank you

Offline Tom56

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
I'm guessing everything is okay now with these feeds?  :|

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
I'm guessing everything is okay now with these feeds?

Nothing has changed on the CZYZ (Center) feed. Still hearing Pearson Tower, not sure if it's 118.700 or 118.350 or both ? Still hearing Departure 128.800, both controller and aircraft. Still hearing aircraft on Approach 132.800. The controller and aircraft on 128.800 are always strong, but so far I've only heard aircraft coming through faint on 132.800. I also listened to the CZYZ (Center) feed for a bit when the CYYZ (Terminal) feed was down and you were still getting those extra Terminal frequencies coming through on the Center feed. DJ

Offline Acey

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2007, 11:14:49 PM »
Still hearing Pearson Tower, not sure if it's 118.700 or 118.350 or both ?

It's both. The centre feeds cut them out if there's any transmissions on those frequencies.

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
Hearing now at 15/Jan/07..  big snow storm hitting Toronto..

However, definitely hearing Arrival, Departure and Tower frequencies (Runway 5 and 6L Ops) on the CZYZ feed.

Would the audio cable switched?  The CYYZ frequency seems picking up some center frequencies as well

Offline Lexxx

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »
Maybe all this is a sound card problem.

I stream a few feeds and couldn't understand once why a certain feed was coming out my speakers when I'd selected a different feed. I checked cables, scanner frequency selections (all the obvious stuff I thought), and finally realized one of the sound card settings were off.

I don't feed directly to Dave, so not sure exactly how you guys stream your various feeds, but I'm sure there are multiple audio cards involved for those feeding more than one set of frequencies. I'd be double checking all those computer settings at both ends. Dave's and the ones near YYZ.

Just a thought.

Lexx
www.ykf.ca

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
Just tuned in to Toronto Centre (which I haven't done in a while) and it is still broadcasting YYZ tower. :(

From what I can tell the scanner is getting stepped on by other frequencies.. including YYZ tower.

What model/brand of scanners are you using?