airtraffic

Author Topic: CZYZ feed  (Read 38662 times)

Offline Scrapper

CZYZ feed
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:55:09 PM »
Hi guys... I know that we've probably already talked about this ad nauseum already but I'm getting really frustrated trying to listen to Toronto Centre, and all I hear is the local Toronto City Centre stuff... While I realize that both are very interesting to listen to (higher level stuff coming in and going out of and through Toronto, to Montreal and Ottawa and stuff as well as the city centre stuff and how they avoid the YYZ terminal area) it is absolutely RIDICULOUS to try and provide both on the same feed! The busiest airspace in Canada, and the feed has 15 DIFFERENT FREQS being scanned... It is impossible to hear the same plane more than once, or to follow a flight because it keeps switching from one frequency to another... As a perfect example I was listening to a departing Air Canada flight out of YYZ today, and had them beautifully on the tower, the terminal freq, and then when they switched over to toronto centre, I switched over, caught them checking in, then never heard of them for 20 minutes while I was forced to listen in to all the city centre schmoz... then I caught a gimpse of them switching to montreal centre prior to checking in with ottawa terminal... imagine if the NY area had all of JFKs tower, terminal and centre frequencies all on the same site! I hate to mank about this for minutes on end, but there's no point in having this many frequencies as it just makes it impossible to listen to ANYTHING... I would HIGHLY recommend splitting this into two different sites (one for city centre and one for the acc itself) to make it worth listening to... otherwise, might as well get rid of the whole thing because listening to 15 freqs at once is just retarded... sorry I'm all worked up, but you guys run an outstanding web site, so it's frustrating when one of your favourite listening streams is this screwed up...

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: CZYZ feed
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »
Firstly, realize that the majority of feeds here (perhaps 99% of them) are run by volunteers, not by the publisher of this site.  All hardware, OS software, and ISP costs are borne by the feeder out of their desire to give back to the world at large.  The site publisher simply hosts the feeds (it is worth mentioning that Dave also contributes an excessive amount of time and money to keep this site running, but that is another topic).

Secondly, as a volunteer feeder myself, I personally agree with you that too many frequencies on the same feed make the feed impossible to enjoy.  I also enjoy hearing the same aircraft "pass through the system," as it were.  Having less frequencies per feed also make it possible to catch the duration of aircraft emergencies, which can be some pretty intense, real-time drama.

With these points in mind, I have a suggestion for you:    Since a) you clearly prefer that feed (assuming it were split), b) the feeder of that site is providing the hardware and the Internet connection to get the feed to this site, and  c)  it would cost more money out of his pocket to separate the feed (additional scanner, additional sound card), perhaps you might work with the feeder to raise the needed funds to split the feed either through personal donations or a group of donations (say, contact a bunch of locals who enjoy that feed).

I feel your pain, but in the end it is volunteers like this feeder who make the site what it is.   As a vocal listener you may have to step up to the plate here, too, if you desire to see what you prefer.

Edit:  Added bolded word that was somehow removed by my editor.   :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:14:30 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:23 PM »
absolutely agree with you about everything you said (including even stepping up to the plate if necessary), I guess the reason I was posting this on here is to see how many people might be interested in this, or to even just get a feel if the volunteer who runs that feed is even interested in splitting the feed or not... may not require any extra money though... if we can just figure out whether people prefer listening to city centre or to the high altitude stuff, it may not be a bad idea just to get rid of one of the two all together and go back to the way it used to be (centre only... city centre airport was added on more recently and ever since has made the feed very difficult to listen to...) if there are enough people out there that agree with me, maybe the volunteer wouldn't mind dropping the city centre feqs all together...

On another note, I want to dispel the misunderstanding that I am unhappy with the service... I think dave and his guys run a great site and all on their own time, and mostly out of their own pocket... the volunteers who provide the feeds do a great job as well... I'm just making a suggestion to see 1) whether enough people agree with me, and 2) whether the feed provider is willing to talk about some alternatives so that we can all enjoy the feed more... perhaps have centre stuff one week and city centre stuff the next, and then let people decide which they like better... since we already have a toronto terminal feed, my vote is for centre instead of city centre airport... that way, like you said, you can hear aircraft coming into toronto from over 100 miles away as they're decending through the various airspaces until they reach terminal then tower, then land... Not sure who provides this feed, but I'm basically asking that we open a dialogue amongst all us listeners and come up with a BETTER way of doing this... if it envolves more money, then I'm sure that people (including myself) might be willing to help out with the money... however, if not that many people are interested in one vs. the other, then extra money not needed... just need to get rid of the extra freqs...

Looking forward to talking more about this with anyone out there (including hopefully the feed provider...)

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
I totally agree with the first poster, it just doesn't make sense loading up a lot of busy frequencies on one radio, as you point out the feed becomes very frustrating to try and listen to. It's not just the CYYZ feed either, unfortunately there are few other feeds with the same frustrating problem. Why go through all the trouble of setting up a feed and then ruin it by adding so many frequencies ? My only guess is the person who set up the radio doesn't really understand how the airspace is set up, or that some people just like to listen to what ends up sounding like a bunch of random transmissions ?

DJ

Offline Acey

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »
It's not just the CYYZ feed

The CYYZ feed is okay in my mind; it was previously discussed. I believe it's six frequencies, north/south tower, arrival, and departure; only four are generally used. 

It must be Toronto Centre (CZYZ) of which you're speaking, and it is indeed scanning many frequencies and the feeder may want to consider dropping some of these.  I know he added the YYZ tower/arrival/departure frequencies while the normal YYZ feed was having problems, occasionally one hears these transmissions.

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »
Adrian, you're absolutely correct, the YYZ feed is perfect, but the ZYZ feed is not only ZYZ but also Toronto City Centre... adding an airport to an already busy ACC is ridiculous... hopefully the feeder is on here and is reading this... if so, maybe the feeder can join this conversation so we can come up with a better list of freqs to listen to... Toronto City Centre Airport doesn't really have anything to do with the ACC so I'm not sure why it was added to this feed in the first place...

Offline Tom56

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:06:55 PM »
Ok OK No need to get your knickers in a knot!  :-D When I took over CZYZ I was given a list of Freq's by the original feeder. The extra ones at the bottom for CYTZ, CYKZ and CYZD have been locked out for ages. I just forgot to get Dave to remove them. Since I'm not that versed in what Freqs I should have on CZYZ or even CYYZ. Please do give me a list if you have one. I don't have a problem fixing things up for you all it would be my pleasure.  :-P :evil: :wink: :-D

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:58 PM »
Would you be able/willing to host an additional scanner? I have a spare one lying around that can be used if you want to split the feed.

Offline Acey

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 02:33:10 AM »

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 09:21:56 PM »
Since I'm not that versed in what Freqs I should have on CZYZ or even CYYZ. Please do give me a list if you have one. I don't have a problem fixing things up for you all it would be my pleasure.

Are you running both feeds ? My suggestion for the CZYZ (Center) feed would be to concentrate on the enroute Center frequencies only, just listening now it sounds like you have some Tower and Terminal frequencies in there, when these are already covered on the other CYYZ feed.

If it was me I'd scan the following ONLY on the CZYZ feed.

This gives you coverage of all adjacent low sectors and the high sectors overhead YYZ. I'd turn all delays OFF and make sure no priority channels are set. Just my opinion. Any chance you could set that up as a test and we can see how it works ? DJ
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:32:23 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:54:45 PM »
jetscan, I didn't realize you posted here already, disregard my other post re the delays... Those adjacent sectors and high altitudes sound interesting... let me know if you guys test this, I'd like to listen and offer my 2 cents... but it should be much less busy without the terminal and tower freqs that we keep overhearing... Those bottom freqs that are supposed to be locked out are not locked out I don't think, because I'm sure I heard toronto city centre clearing planes to land the other day... I'd really like to see the freqs jetscan suggested tried out if that's at all possible... and if it works then those freqs should be the only ones scanned if you only have one scanner (because CYYZ is a busy feed of terminal stuff, so it would be fun to have a feed of the adjacent and overhead enroute stuff... great for following flights as well..). Then if you DO acquire a second scanner, you could think of adding the toronto city centre stuff to that one if there's interest in those as well, but if not I would just leave those out all together for now... Don't know if I'll get a chance to post tomorrow or not, just arrived to visit my in-laws for the next couple of days, so if not, merry xmas to everyone and happy holidays...

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
Let's make that list an even 10 frequencies by adding 132.475 to the list. :-D

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »
My only other concern is that with NO delay, it's going to jump from one conversation to another... whereas with just a minimum amount of delay, when the scanner picks something up, at the end of the conversation, it'll stick around for the response... with no delay, it'll start scanning again right away and pick up something on another freq and we'll miss the response...

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
Let's make that list an even 10 frequencies by adding 132.475 to the list.

I missed that one, 132.475, as well as 124.025.

If we could get ONLY these 11 frequencies set as a test, with no delays and no priority channels set, that would be great. It's way too many frequencies for one radio, ideally to do CZYZ justice you would need 4 separate radios dedicated to specific sectors/areas like north/south/east/west and high/low etc. But with only one radio available I guess it becomes a compromise between aircraft coverage vs area coverage.

My only other concern is that with NO delay, it's going to jump from one conversation to another... whereas with just a minimum amount of delay, when the scanner picks something up, at the end of the conversation, it'll stick around for the response... with no delay, it'll start scanning again right away and pick up something on another freq and we'll miss the response...

I agree about the missed reply thing, but I find if that is a continual problem it probably means you are scanning too many frequencies. I find with the delay set you end up getting a lot of clipped transmissions that you would otherwise hear or miss something entirely. DJ

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »
This would be a CZYZ dream setup

Radio 1 - northeast (low/high)

Radio 2 - east through west low (low)

Radio 3 - overhead/east through west (high)

Radio 4 - west through north (low/high)

If anyone can provide the location, the internet connection and the PC, I'd donate the money to buy 4 radios.

DJ

Offline Tom56

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »
This would be a CZYZ dream setup

Radio 1 - northeast (low/high)

Radio 2 - east through west low (low)

Radio 3 - overhead/east through west (high)

Radio 4 - west through north (low/high)

If anyone can provide the location, the internet connection and the PC, I'd donate the money to buy 4 radios.

DJ

Hi DJ,
Let's kill the delay question, there is none on the radios I have.
CZYZ is currently running on a Uniden BC 350C, CYYZ is running on a Uniden BC350A
These are setup on two different computers. My plan was to put them both on the same pc.
Now if I end up adding more radios my concern is figuring how I'm going to get 5 sound cards stuffed in there? Unless I can run onboard sound and maybe 2 cards with dual inputs. The other question is how many instances of STWin can you run before you run into issues?
I have no problem putting this together if your willing to cover the extra radios. I would like to keep the radios all the same make. That way I can make a rack to keep everything neat and tidy. I'm 5 minutes south east of Pearson International. I'm running a decent discone antenna and I have both Rogers Broadband as well as Sympatico Broadband so I'm never without internet access. In the meantime if you want the freqs changed on CZYZ I need the freq description with the number.
Hamilton Sector 132.475
Centralia Sector 125.775
East Radar 124.92
East Satellite 133.4
West Satellite 119.3 etc
Best regards,
Tom

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »
Tom,

Let's kill the delay question, there is none on the radios I have. CZYZ is currently running on a Uniden BC 350C, CYYZ is running on a Uniden BC350A

AFAIK there is a built in delay function on the BC350 radios that can not be disabled. I think the problem is it sounds like you have a priority function turned on some of the channels ?

Now if I end up adding more radios my concern is figuring how I'm going to get 5 sound cards stuffed in there? Unless I can run onboard sound and maybe 2 cards with dual inputs. The other question is how many instances of STWin can you run before you run into issues?

Okay well let me know if you can solve these problems, then we can talk about radios.

I have no problem putting this together if your willing to cover the extra radios. I would like to keep the radios all the same make. That way I can make a rack to keep everything neat and tidy.

Unfortunately I don't like BC350's because of that built in delay function you can't turn off. But they are small and convenient to stack.

I'm 5 minutes south east of Pearson International. I'm running a decent discone antenna

Are there any buildings or obstructions blocking reception in any directions ?

In the meantime if you want the freqs changed on CZYZ I need the freq description with the number.

Not sure why you need this to retune the radios ? But here goes ....

127.000 - Simcoe (east/low)
124.925 - East Radar (east/low)
124.675 - Picton (east/high)
134.575 - Barrie (east/high)
135.625 - Kitchener (west/low)
120.175 - Grimsby (west/low)
132.475 - Hamilton (west/low)
125.775 - Centralia (west/high)
134.925 - Oakville (west/high)
132.575 - Wiarton (north/low)
124.025 - Wiarton (north/low)

Please double check to make sure there is no priority channels set. That would be great if you could retune it to the above only and we can see how it works out. Thanks much ! DJ
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 04:34:03 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline Tom56

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »
Okay scanner is now running your test list...  8-)

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 01:04:18 AM »
Hi guys... didn't get a chance to listen tonight during any of the busier times (doing the holiday family thing... hope everyone had a festive xmas...) but I listened late tonight and followed AC482 from the ground in montreal on CYYZ all the way to montreal centre, so at least to the east, the setup is perfect as far as frequencies go... One question I had for BuZZ56 was whether there are still other airport freqs on there? (does the feed include pearson stuff at night when it's less busy? or is it city centre stuff? because as I was listening to this flight at 1 in the am, I still caught some stuff from staff ground cars talking to ground control driving around on taxiways... I'll try and have a listen again of your new setup sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening when it's busier...

Offline Tom56

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi Scrapper, I'll recheck the freqs on CYYZ. I found that I had duplicates on CZYZ so I may have buggered some up on CYYZ as well. I guess I better wait a bit 10 people on there right now....
Tom

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »
Okay scanner is now running your test list...

Listening at 12:45 I can still hear Tower/Departure/Arrival on the CZYZ feed. Can you check and confirm that ONLY those 11 Center frequencies listed above are selected in the radio ? It also kind of sounds like one of those Tower/Departure/Arrival frequencies might be set as a priority channel ? DJ

Offline Tom56

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 02:22:33 PM »
Okay scanner is now running your test list...

Listening at 12:45 I can still hear Tower/Departure/Arrival on the CZYZ feed. Can you check and confirm that ONLY those 11 Center frequencies listed above are selected in the radio ? It also kind of sounds like one of those Tower/Departure/Arrival frequencies might be set as a priority channel ? DJ
I just double checked and the only freqs on there are the ones you posted and nothing is set as priority. :?

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »
I'm listening right now and heard a take-off clearance for runway 23. I'm wondering if your scanner has one of those "features" that automatically tunes to the strongest signal around.

I think Uniden calls it  "Close Call RF Capture"

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
I just double checked and the only freqs on there are the ones you posted and nothing is set as priority.

I don't know what is going on because you are definately hearing Tower/Arrival/Departure on the CZYZ feed ?

I'm wondering if your scanner has one of those "features" that automatically tunes to the strongest signal around.

If that were the case you would think you would be picking up a lot more transmissons on other frequencies, but it's consistently only Tower/Arrival/Departure, maybe some sort of splashover from the other CYYZ feed, although it seems to block out the other frequencies like it was scanning them ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 05:00:43 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline poj

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
Newbie alert ... Me
for xmas I received a USB audio adaptor. (that clear blue one, if you search)
This may be a simple way to add many more audio inputs.
__
I'm in Toronto, not close enough to be a feed, but have some ideas.