airtraffic

Author Topic: CYYZ & CZYZ Toronto Center new home  (Read 26395 times)

Offline delta092b

CYYZ & CZYZ Toronto Center new home
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
After a few technical glitches, I'm proud to have taken over the CYYZ and CZYZ feeds as of Friday. I'd like to thank the former feeder "CYYZ / CZYZ" for providing some of the equipment and also for his dedication to the feeds for the past few years. He did a fantastic job keeping clear and constant feeds and I have a lot to live up to :)

Thanks to Dave for his help in establishing the feeds and guidance on software setup.

I currently have a temporary issue with one of the antenna cables on the Toronto Centre feed and I hope to rectify this early next week.

If anyone has any comments/issues with the feeds please let  know.

Sorry for the up and down time over the weekend, it should be 24/7 going forward (except for any technical hicups).

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:38:36 PM by delta092b »

Offline JNanu

Re: CYYZ & CZYZ Toronto Center new home
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »
Just wanted to say thank you! YYZ is my local airport (I live in Vaughan at Jane/Rutherford) and I listen to the feed quite often. Was pretty cool earlier today listening to the Blue Angels C-130 and some of the other air show planes that were using Pearson.

Offline Tom56

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »
After a few technical glitches, I'm proud to have taken over the CYYZ and CZYZ feeds as of Friday. I'd like to thank the former feeder "CYYZ / CZYZ" for providing some of the equipment and also for his dedication to the feeds for the past few years. He did a fantastic job keeping clear and constant feeds and I have a lot to live up to :)

Thanks to Dave for his help in establishing the feeds and guidance on software setup.

I currently have a temporary issue with one of the antenna cables on the Toronto Centre feed and I hope to rectify this early next week.

If anyone has any comments/issues with the feeds please let  know.

Sorry for the up and down time over the weekend, it should be 24/7 going forward (except for any technical hicups).

Andrew

Actually I would like to thank you for taking over the feeds. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years. :-D
Tom

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
So far so good! One suggestion though, is to update the frequency list on the feed page, since I dont think you're covering some of the other airports anymore? (like YKZ, YTZ, etc..).

Offline delta092b

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
So far so good! One suggestion though, is to update the frequency list on the feed page, since I dont think you're covering some of the other airports anymore? (like YKZ, YTZ, etc..).

Yep, Dave has the list and will be updating when he has a few minutes.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »
Awesome!

I'm still noticing which sounds like frequencies being stepped on. Could it be that one scanner is interfering with another one?

Offline delta092b

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Awesome!

I'm still noticing which sounds like frequencies being stepped on. Could it be that one scanner is interfering with another one?

If we're talking about the same thing then I think it's because there are too many busy frequencies on each scanner and as result it skips to another frequency in between responses (which can be confusing).  When I just had say tower & departures on one scanner I didn't notice this as much.

Are we on the same page or talking different problems :)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 01:48:41 PM »
We're talking about different problems.

I'm going to attach an audio clip as an example the next time I hear it.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
Sounds like a plan.

I have to laugh when I installed this antenna on my balcony and being so close to the airport it reminded me of an old British comedy. Don't read too much in to the technical aspect of the clip but in this episode Del (a guy that buys & sells stolen goods) buys a satellite (he's calls it a statelite dish) and well....the clip explains the rest.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »
Hahah.. that's awesome!

I just heard what I was talking about (wobble/step on sound) (2:12pm) so I will wait until the 2:30 archive comes out and trim out a portion.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
I am traveling right now but expect to update this within the next day or so.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »
And I think I know what you are talking about, Blake...I will take a listen to confirm when I am able.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »
I've attached a small clip from today that explains what I'm trying to describe.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
mmm that's interesting.  Have you only ever heard this in the Toronto Center feed? I'm not a scanner/radio SME but it almost sounded like a data bits and bytes at some points and I'd be happy to make adjustments if anyone has a suggestion.

Blake, did you also here this before I took over the feed or is it something new?

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
This was a problem I reported earlier with this feed, before it moved.

It was discussed in this rather lengthy post:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/listener-forum/czyz-feed/

This only happens on the CZYZ feed.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
Awesome!

The issue is a high-power paging transmitter which is likely very close to the receiver location.  I will work with the feeder to get him an appropriate filter that should eliminate the issue.  

That is the only issue I am hearing.

I am also hearing the receiver being desensitized by some other transmitters, and some resulting crosstalk.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
Ahhh ok.. wicked! I wouldn't be surprised if the transmitter is right on top of the apartment building the feeder is in!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
That is a common location for cell sites and paging transmitters.  :-)  Last time I was in that part of Toronto I noticed *quite* a few.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
That is a common location for cell sites and paging transmitters.  :-)  Last time I was in that part of Toronto I noticed *quite* a few.

That is very likely. I don't see any on my immediate building but as I'm also surrounded by major highways it is very possible. The powergrid corridor may not be helping things either as that runs between me and right next to the airport (see attached image - The corridor is highlighted in red and I'm between it and the airport.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:00:15 PM by delta092b »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
I am surprised at some of the weak CZYZ transmissions and am trying to figure out whether it is receiver desensitization or just weak signals.  Are some of those CZYZ main transmitters located somewhere other than Pearson?

Offline delta092b

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »
I am surprised at some of the weak CZYZ transmissions and am trying to figure out whether it is receiver desensitization or just weak signals.  Are some of those CZYZ main transmitters located somewhere other than Pearson?

I checked on the Canair site and all the frequency transmitters being monitored are at Pearson. Quite strange considering the Twr/App/Dep feed doesn't have the same weakness.

Offline Buglebogue

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
The CZYZ West Satellite frequency is wrongly stated as 119.3 on the Canada feeds page.  It is in fact 128.275.  I believe the transmitter for West Satellite is in Hamilton and the transmitter for Hamilton Sector is at Waterloo (CYKF).  That could be the reason for weak signal if receiver is in Toronto.  I'll try to confirm this.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
The CZYZ West Satellite frequency is wrongly stated as 119.3 on the Canada feeds page.  It is in fact 128.275.  I believe the transmitter for West Satellite is in Hamilton and the transmitter for Hamilton Sector is at Waterloo (CYKF).  That could be the reason for weak signal if receiver is in Toronto.  I'll try to confirm this.

mmmm....I used the 119.3 West transmitter that is located at Pearson Airport. At least according to http://www.canairradio.com/yyz.html

And yes the antenna is located in Toronto (about 2km south east of 24L)

Offline delta092b

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
Curious if anyone has noted any improvement with this issue? I've been listening to my own feed quite a bit and I don't seem be hearing this interference anymore. Not sure if it's because I've moved it all to a new server or if it's just a fluke.

I really wish I could get the Toronto Centre feed to be better quality from my balcony. Currently using a Diamond D-130J (25-1300MHz) antenna. Would something restricted to just Airband offer any advantage, given that I'm so close to the airport/transmitters?

I'm hoping that some new townhouses are not going to block my great view of the airport and towers :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:28:17 PM by delta092b »

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
I have some filters that might help you out if your interested.