Author Topic: ZBW Military Airspace "Viper" ?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline JetScan1

ZBW Military Airspace "Viper" ?
« on: June 04, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »
Listening to the ZBW UCA09/SYR08 (123.875/135.250) feed this morning and heard a bunch of fighters that I'm guessing are F-35's out of BTV (COBRA01, EASY21, SHINER11, JUNGLE31, COORS41) get cleared into the "Viper ALL(?) from the base to FL500". You can hear this mentioned between 00:41-01:10 and 08:36-08:59 on the Jun 04 - 1300 UTC archive. 

I can't find any reference to this "Viper" airspace on any charts, the FAA SUA website, or NOTAMS ? Sounds like they are calling it the "Viper A-L-L" ? The general area appears to correspond with the restricted areas and MOAs just east of the Wheeler-Sack Army Airfield (GTB). Can't find anything on Google. Anyone have a reference to this type of airspace, map, coordinates, or more info. ?

Thanks

JS

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: ZBW Military Airspace "Viper" ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Shorthand for the Adirondack airspace complex - the ATCAA's above the charted airspace are called Viper.

Name comes from F16's (out of BTV) who used to use it or who may still use it from time to time.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
Shorthand for the Adirondack airspace complex - the ATCAA's above the charted airspace are called Viper.

Thanks. That's what I figured just never heard of it referred to as such. A "local knowledge" thing I guess. Busy day up there, also heard APEX01 getting cleared into the "Grim Alpha airspace" and a KC-135 flight of 6 doing refueling. (I don't usually listen to milair but with the reduction in civil traffic and using the ADB-Exchange website it's kinda interesting). 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »
Definitely a local knowledge thing! Good catch!

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 02:24:50 PM »
For those interested. I see now that the aircraft using the callsign COBRA 01 (also APEX 01 and PYTHON 01) heard on the ZBW Boston Center (UCA09/ART08) feed are MQ-9 Reaper drones out of KSYR (Syracuse). First time I've noticed that these drones communicate with ATC just like a regular aircraft over VHF, I had always thought they were using a landline or satellite for that, or UHF. Also explains the name GRIMM for the airspace they operate into, another ATCAA that doesn't show up on the SUA website.

Attached is an 8 minute audio clip I put together covering all communications with ATC on one of these drone flights (COBRA 01). The total flight time was just over 10 hours, a beep in the clip indicates a time break. Also includes ATC comms with a KC-135 (EDDIE 61, from LCK) refueling a C-5M (JUMBO 70, from DOV) that helps give an idea where the GRIMM airspace is. Good LiveATC coverage, with thanks to the feed providers in the area.

Anyone know what the drone tactical and tanker air-air refueling frequencies are referenced in the clip ? 

JS