Author Topic: CTI School Question (CCBC)  (Read 6333 times)

Offline ccbcme

CTI School Question (CCBC)
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
okay so im starting ATC classes at Beaver this fall... i already have a 4 year degree and im really looking forward to classes, but im wondering if anyone that has gone to beaver or is currently there has any insight or advice as far as the actual classes go?

at what kind of pace do the teachers go?

any advice for a newbie like me? etc...

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Re: CTI School Question (CCBC)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
You made a good choice in going to Beaver.  I graduated there in 2003 and worked in the tower there until 2006 when I got hired by the FAA.

The ATC cirriculum there was developed by working controllers and has withstood the test of over 20 years.  Your ATC textbook is the 7110.65, not some cheesey, picture-filled ATC text.  The instructors go at a slow pace in the pilot classes and ATC 3, but you'll probably think they're going too fast in Facility I-II and EnRoute I-II.  It would behoove you to know the book, font and back (at leat chapters 1-5, and 6 if you choose EnRoute option).  I'd also suggest taking the Weather Observing/Reporting elective.  It's no joke, you need an 80 or better to take the NWS exam but it's an awesome class and certifies you as a SAWRS/LAWRS weather observer.

I just talked to the ATC coordinator Jim Scott last week and he told me they just ordered brand new simulators for EnRoute and Approach labs and he's very excited about they're implementation this summer.  They are very realistic and provide common ARTS for Approach and DSR for EnRoute.  If you go terminal route you'll also have exposure to STARS in the facility rating classes as there is a TDW (BRITE) in the control tower.  By the time you get into the facility classes they'll probably have the tower sim running as well.

Good luck, and remember your experience there is what you make of it.  If you work hard you'll like it - if you do the minimum to get by you probably won't.

And one more thing - if you have to do your flying there be very careful in the northwest practice area.  I'm not sure how it is lately but when I was there that place was a zoo and I saw more than one close call flying through there.

Offline ccbcme

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
thank you very much that was very helpful, im doing terminal and very excited for it!!!

:)  btw ive heard 2003 was their best graduating class 100% hire rate, thats awesome...

how long is the average wait to get hired by the faa?

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:36:49 AM »
we have 3 controllers here at RDU from beaver, youngest one JUST turned 21.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
we have 3 controllers here at RDU from beaver, youngest one JUST turned 21.

At least now he can have a beer at his checkout party.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »
Im currently a terminal student at beaver and i love it!!!   i think you will enjoy it too.  the teachers are all very helpful and they all love what they teach, and they are just straight up cool as hell too.   Pretty much all the teachers go by a first name basis. 

Also, just be ready for Ursela Matuszak's class, which is Aviation Meterology and Theory of Instrument Flight.  Just be prepared to study the exact opposite of what she teaches in class and also be prepared to hear some of the greatest B.S. you'll ever hear in your lifetime too.   

Beaver is a great school, in your 3rd semester, you'll start actual tower training at the airport, and thats where i am at currently, and all the instructors up there are hilarious and you'll hear some good ATC stories up there too.    Davolijj is correct too, we are gettin new simulators later this month, and we need them too!!!

Some good advice i would give ya, is to find some student whos ahead of ya, and get the books you need for classes from them.  Because they wont overcharge ya, like the school does. 

if you have anymore questions, keep em coming and ill be glad to answer any of them!    Welcome to Beaver!!!

Offline Walters

• My Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
To the original poster if u already have a 4 year degree there is really no reason to go back to school. simply apply to a general public announcement on faa.gov. one just closed and there should be a new one up shortly..this is the route i went since i had already graduated from college. but if u want to go to a CTI by all means go for it. no education is a waste..but if u want to get into the FAA relatively quick i would suggest the general public route. i took the AT-SAT in mid sept 07 and have been in OKC for almost 6 weeks now...whatever route u take good luck man
Walters

Offline jb8622

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
how long is the average wait to get hired by the faa?

Just to give you an idea, I graduated Beaver in December 2007, and I started OKC in May 2008. (About 5 months or so)

Jon