Author Topic: Coverage area between Anchorage and Seattle?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline 777lrf

Coverage area between Anchorage and Seattle?
« on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »
Is there any coverage for flights in the air space between Anchorage and Seattle? Once they leave ANC departure I cannot pick up any flights heading east. Same with Seattle once they leave departure heading northwest I cannot find any atc coverage. I am listening to PADQ because it has ZAN but I think this is just low altitude? Thanks.

Offline 1053857

Re: Coverage area between Anchorage and Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:07 AM »
Lots of that is CZVR Vancouver Centre, there isn't a feed I believe!

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
Lots of that is CZVR Vancouver Centre, there isn't a feed I believe!

Good point about Vancouver, I only can find CYVR center and thats for arrival departure to YVR.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
I am listening to PADQ because it has ZAN but I think this is just low altitude?

This LiveATC radio in Kodiak (PADQ) used to have the high altitude frequency (132.65) on it, now it only covers the low sectors. From what I remember during the day when it was on there it was usually combined with about 6 other high frequencies and covered a large area to the west. On the overnight shift it also combined with the eastern sector that covered the airspace all the way to the Vancouver Center border, as well as to the west bordering Russian airspace. It was a very interesting feed at the time.

Unfortunately I guess because of frequency congestion (which makes sense the high sectors could be very busy at times) they seemed to have removed the frequency from the radio a few years ago. I wonder if there is any chance sometime, as a short term test, they could monitor only 132.650 for a day or so to confirm frequency usage and sector configuration in that area ?  

Good point about Vancouver, I only can find CYVR center and thats for arrival departure to YVR.

From the Anchorage border to the Seattle border there are 3 Vancouver high sectors that cover this area. From north to south - 133.40 (RCAG Sandspit), 134.60 (RCAG Port Hardy), 134.80 (RCAG Vancouver). I'm not aware of any LiveATC radios that cover these frequencies.

You can hear the controller on 134.80 loud and clear from the vicinity of the Vancouver airport. From what I remember the 134.80 and 134.60 sectors would often combine when traffic was light during the day and on the overnight shift all 3 would be merged so you would have coverage all the way between Seattle and Anchorage airspace.

There are 3 other Vancouver Center high frequencies that you can hear the controller's on loud and clear from the vicinity of the Vancouver airport (133.70, 124.075, 134.40), so a dedicated feed for the high sectors there would be ideal if it could ever be accommodated. It would be interesting to run a short test of these 4 high frequencies from the current LiveATC radio to see what reception is like. Probably not practical but thought I'd throw it out there.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:48:57 AM »
I am listening to PADQ because it has ZAN but I think this is just low altitude?

This LiveATC radio in Kodiak (PADQ) used to have the high altitude frequency (132.65) on it, now it only covers the low sectors. From what I remember during the day when it was on there it was usually combined with about 6 other high frequencies and covered a large area to the west. On the overnight shift it also combined with the eastern sector that covered the airspace all the way to the Vancouver Center border, as well as to the west bordering Russian airspace. It was a very interesting feed at the time.

Unfortunately I guess because of frequency congestion (which makes sense the high sectors could be very busy at times) they seemed to have removed the frequency from the radio a few years ago. I wonder if there is any chance sometime, as a short term test, they could monitor only 132.650 for a day or so to confirm frequency usage and sector configuration in that area ?  

From the Anchorage border to the Seattle border there are 3 Vancouver high sectors that cover this area. From north to south - 133.40 (RCAG Sandspit), 134.60 (RCAG Port Hardy), 134.80 (RCAG Vancouver). I'm not aware of any LiveATC radios that cover these frequencies.

You can hear the controller on 134.80 loud and clear from the vicinity of the Vancouver airport. From what I remember the 134.80 and 134.60 sectors would often combine when traffic was light during the day and on the overnight shift all 3 would be merged so you would have coverage all the way between Seattle and Anchorage airspace.

There are 3 other Vancouver Center high frequencies that you can hear the controller's on loud and clear from the vicinity of the Vancouver airport (133.70, 124.075, 134.40), so a dedicated feed for the high sectors there would be ideal if it could ever be accommodated. It would be interesting to run a short test of these 4 high frequencies from the current LiveATC radio to see what reception is like. Probably not practical but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thank you for the info. I would love high frequency coverage for the CYVR and PADQ feeds if this is possible.