Author Topic: Considering an ICOM IC-RC75 HF Reciever  (Read 8345 times)

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
Considering an ICOM IC-RC75 HF Reciever
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:35:34 PM »
I've been seriously considering getting an HF reciever and / or getting into ham radio. I've been listening to the 25mhz+ ham bands a lot lately, but I'd like to start to listen to some HF pacific airband and some low mhz meter bands, and get into DX listening.

Maybe I'll be able to host some northern pacific HF. I'm specifically looking at the IC-RC75 since it comes with the free add on DSP module.

Any comments? Recomendations?

Recomdations of what antenna? I would prefer a single antenna wideband setup. I'm looking at the RF Systems DX-One Professional MkII.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1246.html

I'm thinking of ordering from universal-radio since I've had good service with a few products I've ordered from them.

ICOM IC-RC75 http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0175.html

-Mike

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »
I own the R75, and it is used strictly for HF Aircraft monitoring. Twin passband tuning is essential, and the NR is superb, considering the cost of the receiver. Right now, I use the R75 connected to a 50 foot piece of random wire, using the high z output. I hear Sydney on weekend mornings loud and clear.
The DX professional antennas are nice...make sure you ground them well. They are sensitive as hell to static discharge. What about using the DX 10? It's a lot cheaper, and will more than likely satisfy your needs. Considering you're in Hawaii, you should have no problem with the Pacific area routes.
If you're in your own house, why not string up a random longwire, and use the RF Systems balun connected to coax? I think you would be much better off.
Hope I was of some help. Cheers!

Kieran

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 03:38:52 PM »
Seems the RC75 is out of production and icom wont be producing a replacement, so I think I'll pick that up.

That MKII is expensive.
Making the longwire sounds interesting..... maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for the info :)

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 05:33:24 PM »
Believe it or not, the antenna I'm using for my R75 is the ten dollar antenna Radio Shack sells...and I'm feeding it with the insulated wire that comes with it. Right now, since I'll soon be moving, my R75 is in storage, but I've got my FRG100 hooked up, fully attenuated, and I have no problem listening to NAT, CAR, SAT. I can also listen to San Francisco radio as propagation opens to the west.

Definitely try the longwire!

Cheers