Author Topic: Looking into buying second hand scanner (but i'm a newbie)  (Read 13215 times)

Offline kneecaps

Looking into buying second hand scanner (but i'm a newbie)
« on: December 01, 2004, 06:40:43 PM »
Hehe, I'm already hooked on this ATC thing, and since I don't live too far from EGFF (about 13 miles) , i've decided to look into buying a scanner (second hand if possible).

Where can I find some basic intro to the things I need to be looking for and the kinds of aerial I should be looking into getting.

If all turns out well and I manage to pickup some stuff I'd be happy to stream it :D

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 09:33:32 PM »
Scanners are illegal in the UK, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline kneecaps

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 11:13:08 PM »
Nah....I used to own one, you can buy them everywhere (just not sure what to get). Granted this is a silly country but some things are still allowed.

We have CB band for public access transmissions and such, but you do need to be licensed to transmit on pretty much everything else.

I think it is technically illegal to tune to police bands but all you hear are beeps (encryption?) any way.

So my first query still stands.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 11:29:36 PM »
It is illegal.  It's been discussed several times in several topics in the past.

http://www.strongsignals.net/access/content/laws.html

Offline kneecaps

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 01:22:10 AM »
??? Are we talking about the correct country here? United Kingdom, Britain etc??

I checked that link and it says its legal.....

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra169.htm

OFCOM is our radio communications regulatory agency. I dont see anything or can find nothing on the web that says scanners are illegal. They have them at my local Maplin (the UK version of Radio Shack or something), for sale to the general public.

Offline Polehill

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 03:30:12 AM »
Its perfectly legal to own a scanner in the UK. I was going to post the same link as above. Please be certain of facts before making stern statements!
However,what is illegal is listening to airband frequencies..but if the regutlatory authority were to enforce that, there would be thousands of prosecutions, in view of the number of people seen using them at airports, airshows and the like. As usual over here..its an archaic law that makes no sense, is ignored by most, and has not caught up with the 20th century, never mind the 21st!!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 06:13:01 AM »
What is specifically illegal is rebroadcasting aircraft communications (and other communications, police, etc.).  I have this on pretty good authority but I've yet to see the complete law with my own two eyes.

I know that we had Heathrow on here a while back and a bunch of people wrote to me screaming bloody murder and chastising us for having it.  There are a lot of people who love to spoil the fun for others.  :-)  So that, and especially the important fact that it appears to be illegal, has forced me to refuse any feed offers from the U.K.  

-dave

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 09:34:24 AM »
Anyway.........Back to kneecaps original question. I'm in the same boat but live in Canada so ownership is definitely not a problem.

I'm looking for a scanner (preferably used) and almost exclusively for listening to the aircraft band. I don't care about police and fire. I just don't want to buy too much in the way of a scanner. Don't think I need whatever "trunked calls" are. Do I?

Dave. What are those scanners in the picture under you name? Are you happy with them?

Thanks

Offline kneecaps

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 02:23:58 PM »
Yeah, I've not seen anything like a law stating that it is illegal to rebroadcast aircraft communications. What I will do to clarify this situation is seek proper legal advice from a solicitor. One point that I find intersting in this is that there are plenty of ACARS servers in Britain essentially 'rebroadcasting' ACARS from aircraft, this infomation strikes me as even less for public consumption than NATS (national air traffic services) communications.

Sound legal advice should clear this up anyway.

Still, back to the first issue, i'm told that base scanners and hand helds can get just as good reception, its all in the aerial?
I really need some pointers on what to look for, I presume BNC aerial connector and headphone jack is essential, but I dont know about other required things.