Author Topic: Flight of Mistakes Two pilots' harrowing tale  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Robin Rebhan

Flight of Mistakes Two pilots' harrowing tale
« on: January 09, 2006, 06:15:41 PM »
Flight of Mistakes
Two pilots' harrowing tale of violating the nation's most restricted airspace
   http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2006/flight0601.html

Very interesting read, good interview of the two pilots involved. Much different story compared to the mis-reporting in the press.
     Thanks to the AOPA for getting the story right!
     The two pilots involved do want this story out so that this situation will not happen to other pilots.

Offline Neil

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
Ehhh, AOPA jandled it with Kids gloves. Theres just no excuse. The damage is extensive, and could be permenant.

Offline jamall02864

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
:( im not a member o well

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 06:37:05 AM »
If you are not a member and can't get the article. You can get a free 6 month membership at www.aopa.org
     or just e-mail me and I'll send you the article.  k9gsd@aol.com

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
Neil
    I think my own thought is pretty much the same as yours. If I were doing 75 MPH in a 55 MPH zone on the Interstate I'd still be a risk to the public. A Trooper and Judge would care less if I was speeding on purpose or by accident. I'd still be a risk to the public and would be ticketed. And rightly so.
     Suppose the Blackhawk had not made the intercept and the two pilots in the Cessna wandered into a Boeing 737 full of passengers inside Class "B" airspace and caused a mid-air collision over Wash, DC?
          The AOPA I believe should have had a position of defending General Aviation with a zero tolerence policy rather than defending the two pilots and their actions.
     The AOPA is strongly against the ADIZ becoming more than temporary in the District of Columbia. I agree. But! It is still the law, whether we like it or not, we have to set a good example to gain public trust in General Aviation. Only when we have public trust can we gain public support to remove ADIZ's that serve no useful purpose to National Security.

The article explains how this incident happened and I can understand how it happened. But, as much as I feel sorry for them, it should not exonerate the pilots actions. The flight was a case of very bad judgement right from the start to finish. Being a good pilot is in fact about the use of good solid judgement.

May I also say I do appreciate and respect those who oppose the above view.

Best Regards to all
     Robin Rebhan
     Albany, NY

Offline DTAK

Flight of Mistakes
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 05:51:22 PM »
What a mess.

The student's lesson "I'll never fly without a GPS again" (sic)

Future Darwin Award winner...?