airtraffic

Author Topic: cell phone references  (Read 9636 times)

Offline elshpen

cell phone references
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
I'm listening to the Caribbean/SA HF evening primary, and one of the few things I can make out through the static is an almost constant reference to using a cell phone.  Do the pilots use cell phones to communicate?  Is this more reliable than radio?

Offline T_N_T

Re: cell phone references
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:54:52 PM »
I would like to know what it is as well?

:?

They use it alot on the Car/SA feed

Offline Tomato

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:28:52 AM »
I've noticed this on the Toronto feed as well... and not only the pilots, I notice the "cellular signal interference" in the radio transmission from the Controllers site as well from time to time.  If anything, the cell phones are simply calling home, and not in active use, but still... :)

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »
are you sure you are not hearing SELCAL and confusing cell phone with that

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »
What happens is they say "cell call check" and then I assume they press a button and you hear a beep in the background. I'm not sure what that means but I don't think were confusing it with "SELCAL"

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
If you go over to audio clips section you can find my mp3 of this there. Check it out, it still sounds like they are saying "cell call" instead of "SELCAL"

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »
my comp is acting up so i hope i can get this post in!!!!! Selcal is a sort of code that is given to a particular flight so as the controllers of HF can contact that flight without tying up the aiwaves. The tones are a test of this pager code

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
Oh ok, well now we know!

Offline Tomato

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:32:22 AM »
Do you have a clip/sample of the actual SELCAL tone?

I was referring to the actual audio interference/distortion heard on the transmission, and not the words "cell call" or "selcal" for that matter.  I hear it all the time with my phone + stereo (car, computer, whatever) so that's how I recognized it.  I could be mistaken though if the two interference tones sound similar.  :)

Offline Pygmie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »

Offline Tomato

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks, I just read through that thread.  I'm not convinced that we're talking about two different things.  It's nice to learn more about SELCAL though!  :)

Offline Tomato

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 05:37:14 AM »
Question about SELCAL and how it works...

Two pairs of frequencies, so say 4 frequencies in use... how does it work?  When a controller wants to reach aircraft with SELCAL AB-CD, does the transmitter transmit on all four frequencies?  If so, does this act like a "key" to the aircraft's system?  (In other words, the aircraft expects a signal on each pair of frequencies (2x2=4) in order to respond and alert the pilots?)