Author Topic: Canada Law / Streaming  (Read 16595 times)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Canada Law / Streaming
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
I guess this is mostly directed to Dave.

However, has anyone have any thoughts on the laws in Canada with regards to broadcasting ATC on the Internet.

I did some research over the weekend and came up with this:

Specifically, section 9, paragaph 2 of the Radiocommunications Act:

2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.

From my interpretation of that paragraph... We aren't allowed to stream the audio over the Internet unless we have permission from the originator or receiver of the communication.

Comments?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Canada Law / Streaming
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »
Fire up the word processor and send off a note to Nav Canada asking for permission? 

Offline Canadian eh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »
there was a court hearing in Canada that forced the release of ATC tapes to the public (happened within the last 2 years). i don't know if it is for all broadcasts we make or just for when we play the role of "Luke Skywelder". either way when that ruling came down, the requirement for me to ever say my initials on a recorded line was no longer required. nobody tries to trade paint and (knock on wood) if it did happen, i don't want people knowing my real name. people have taken justice into their own hands before.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »
people have taken justice into their own hands before.

Yes.. that incident in Uberling, Germany and the Skyguide controller comes to mind :(

Offline Canadian eh

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:03:01 PM »
here's the crash and some info on what happened to get the tapes released. if you read right to the bottom it even talks about this site.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
here's the crash and some info on what happened to get the tapes released. if you read right to the bottom it even talks about this site.

Is there supposed to be a link in your post discussing this accident? 

Offline Canadian eh

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/21/swissair-tape.html

sorry looks like i forgot the link. there it is.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »
Thank you Skip.  Good article.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
There is a difference between cockpit voice recordings and open, over-the-air ATC-pilot conversations.  Let's not confuse the two.

For the cockpit voice recording, there is no reasonable expectation that the public can or should be able to hear those conversations.  ATC-pilot communications, on the other hand, occur over unencrypted channels that do not require any special equipment to receive.  Whether everyone goes out and buys a receiver to listen themselves or listens via a streaming audio over the Internet is a fine point and a technicality.  Regardless of any law that may appear to restrict the activity, an action to enforce that law would unlikely hold up in any court of law.  If communications were truly not meant to be disseminated then a reasonable person would believe that such communications would be encrypted or some attempt would be made to make them unavailable.

The purpose of this site is to largely provide an educational resource for pilots and controllers, and a source of entertainment for those who enjoy listening to the action and the art of ATC. 

Dave

Offline Jonakwan

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »
Hello all,

Just to add to the discussion, there are now Live ATC streams in the most major cities in Canada. Check out these streams:

https://www.liveatc.net/search//?icao=cyvr and https://www.liveatc.net/search//?icao=cyul and https://www.liveatc.net/search//?icao=cyyz

Thanks everyone.

Offline BAC

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:54:16 AM »
There used to be great coverage for Toronto (CYYZ/YYZ) with multiple individual frequencies available. However, unfortunately and mysteriously, it has been down for about 2 weeks now.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
There is no mystery. Feeds go down for many reasons, even if they (like CYYZ) have been up continuously for 15+ years.  :-).

CYYZ is in the midst of a facility move. The feeds will be back up when that is complete (date unknown).