Author Topic: Airport delay - "equipment automation"  (Read 5665 times)

Offline phil-s

Airport delay - "equipment automation"
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
That's the reason given by FAA for tonight's JFK and EWR delays. Hadn't seen it before. What does it refer to? Data stream problems as opposed to radar? Thanks -- Phil   

djmodifyd

Re: Airport delay - "equipment automation"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »
That's the reason given by FAA for tonight's JFK and EWR delays. Hadn't seen it before. What does it refer to? Data stream problems as opposed to radar? Thanks -- Phil   

automation deals with handoffs...pointouts...or other P-APC.

IF something is wrong with the ARTS or STARS computers....you can get interface problems or other errors....causing you to have to do MANUAL handoffs...which takes time...compaired to just slewing out on the target and hitting enter.

if that at all makes sense

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:25:44 PM »
They had the same issue about a week and a half ago at N90.  Lost ability for automated handoffs, so they implemented ground stops for aircraft inbound to JFK, EWR, LGA, HPN, and TEB.  Definitely slows things down in the IFR environment.

Offline CFD208

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
Whats the difference between automated and manual handoffs?

Offline RV1

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »
In an automated handoff environment, my computer starts 'tracking' an airplane that will be entering my airspace from another facility. The transferring controller will enter an alphanumeric character or characters, slew out to the position symbol for that airplane and hit enter. (slew is like the pointer for your mouse) This will force the data block onto my scope and start it to flash. This means that someone is trying to hand off this plane to me. I then 'slew' out and "take" the handoff, giving permission for the airplane to enter my airspace. In a manual handoff, the transferring controller must get on a shout line and call me, when I answer, he will then tell me who it is, where the plane is and what's he doing. The controller then waits for me to say 'radar contact'. The former is MUCH faster then the latter.

Offline phil-s

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:52:49 PM »
Thanks folks. That's what I had in mind when I said "data-stream problems" but it's really nice to get some specifics.