Author Topic: broken transmissions on CYQM Moncton Center High  (Read 4656 times)

Offline 13ifs40

broken transmissions on CYQM Moncton Center High
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
Good Day

I have been listening to CYQM Moncton Center High which includes freqs 133.875, 132.70 and 127.125 and there has been a lot of broken transmissions, kinda like the machine is trying to settle on something but can't for some reason.

Is there anyone else who knows about this and is it a constant problem?

thanks for your help in advance

13ifs40

Offline MIAMIATC

Re: broken transmissions on CYQM Moncton Center High
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
I have noticed the same issue however I chose not to bring it up since I would be labeled a pest

133.875 is an inactive frequency

hoping that a temporary experiment would add 118.875,124.975, and 132.525 to this one but I am asking much I am told

NEED A RADIO near Sept Isles to receive 133.35 and 126.325

NEED A RADIO near Natashquan to permanently receive 118.875,124.975, and 132.525

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Good Day

I have been listening to CYQM Moncton Center High which includes freqs 133.875, 132.70 and 127.125 and there has been a lot of broken transmissions, kinda like the machine is trying to settle on something but can't for some reason.

Is there anyone else who knows about this and is it a constant problem?

thanks for your help in advance

13ifs40

There was some interference and a related software issue...should be better now.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
There was some interference and a related software issue...should be better now.

It sounds much better, but there is still an interference or squelch issue. It sounds like the low altitude feed is interfering with the high altitude feed ?

From what I've heard on the archives it's happening quite frequently. An example of this can be found on the Oct16 - 23:00 and 23:30 archives (starting at 28:11) where the high feed is stuck open on dead air for almost 4 minutes while you can faintly hear the low sector controller bleeding through.

Other than that, great feed, very good controller reception although aircraft reception range isn't that great, indoor antenna ? Nice setup, having the high sectors split from the low sectors on a separate feed is great !

I see 133.875 is listed as a Moncton high frequency. I've never heard it in use though ? Can anyone in that area confirm if they are hearing any transmissions on it ?

JS

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:13:01 AM »

It sounds much better, but there is still an interference or squelch issue. It sounds like the low altitude feed is interfering with the high altitude feed ?

From what I've heard on the archives it's happening quite frequently. An example of this can be found on the Oct16 - 23:00 and 23:30 archives (starting at 28:11) where the high feed is stuck open on dead air for almost 4 minutes while you can faintly hear the low sector controller bleeding through.

Other than that, great feed, very good controller reception although aircraft reception range isn't that great, indoor antenna ? Nice setup, having the high sectors split from the low sectors on a separate feed is great !

I see 133.875 is listed as a Moncton high frequency. I've never heard it in use though ? Can anyone in that area confirm if they are hearing any transmissions on it ?

JS

133.875 was removed. No activity was heard on that frequency and it was indicated here that the frequency was not believed to be in use.

This location is on an indoor antenna so aircraft reception is less than ideal. We're also fighting some RFI issues on one or more frequencies which necessitates lowering the gain of the SDR to alleviate squelch breaking issues - this contributes to the lower aircraft range but is not the main contributor - the local noise and interference contributes more. The SDR software uses auto-squelch...we have also tried manual squelch to avoid the issue but that doesn't help - the overriding issue is the local interference which we can't mitigate otherwise. And the antenna has to stay inside, unfortunately.

We'll continue to try optimizing - but right now we're getting as much as we can from this location. Perhaps a new, additional receiver location will emerge at some point.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
dave,

We'll continue to try optimizing - but right now we're getting as much as we can from this location. Perhaps a new, additional receiver location will emerge at some point.

Thanks for the info. If you think using an actual scanner, like a Uniden Bearcat BC-75XLT, would make a difference I'd be happy to donate one. The two low sector feeds sounds very good, no interference that I've heard. Thanks for setting them up !

JS

Offline 13ifs40

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
Hello

Thanks for your answer.       

Ian Snow